Classic Mac on Nintendo Wii

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

CDMacRae
Space Cadet

Classic Mac on Nintendo Wii

Post by CDMacRae »

Hi All,

New to emaculation as a registered user, but I have used the tips and tools on here before.

I have an old Nintendo Wii kicking around that isn't really worth trading in (they say I get $20), figure I can make the device worth something in a hack somehow.

I was wondering if anyone out there has tried hacking a wii and emulating a classic mac environment on it? Perhaps even completely converting it into a functioning hackintosh computer?

Thought and tips? Suggestions? (please be kind) I am learning electronics and programming so I am not afraid of getting into it with some modifications.

Thanks for any discussion, help and suggestions,

~CDM
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Re: Classic Mac on Nintendo Wii

Post by Jorpho »

I can tell you that it is quite trivial to get homebrew applications running on a Wii. There are easy-to-use exploits that run right off an ordinary SD card.

To emulate a classic Mac environment on a Wii, you would probably have to port one of the existing Macintosh emulators – Basilisk II, mini vMac, or maybe MESS. Perhaps someone has already done this – I have no idea, but I suspect it is one of those things where if someone hasn't done it already, it's probably too hard to bother doing. The Basilisk II code, at least, is very old and porting it might be a challenge even for someone with extensive programming experience.

Needless to say, there are probably much, much easier ways to emulate a classic Mac environment, and probably even much more interesting things you could do with your Wii.

EDIT: Come to think of it, there's definitely an unofficial port of DOSBox for the Wii, and the old Fusion Mac emulator will definitely run in DOSBox, so in theory at least you could do things that way. I doubt it would run very fast, though.