emulation issues

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

repulsivefrog
Space Cadet

emulation issues

Post by repulsivefrog »

First off, I can run mini vmac, and basilisk II on my windows 10 computer just fine. I cannot seem to run Sheepshaver, or pear pc, to save my life, and I have no clue what to do with the qemu stuff. I have windows 10 64 bit installed and am running on an amd cpu. I did run Leopard on VMware with no trouble, but even it is presenting me with issues.
I want to be able to install OS X and run some educational stuff for my granddaughters. I am at a loss as to what to do next.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: emulation issues

Post by 24bit »

Which versions of OSX are you aiming at after all?
SheepShaver does emulate MacOS 7.5.3 to 9.0.4. Much depends on the edu software you plan to play.
A Leopard Server VM should run many old stuff, but it lacks Core Image/Quartz support in hardware usually.
Thats why many graphics related things simply won´t work.

I have got a spare Lenovo T60 with OSX 10.6.7, SheepShaver and Rosetta on it.
Such an oldie will play many titles except for games looking for dedicated ATI graphics or MIDI stuff.
Alas, I´m in Germany, but in case of interest, feel free to PM or email.
It is possible to run OSX on AMD rigs, but its a long time gone I looked into that.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

If you provide some information about where your installation of SheepShaver and QEMU fail, you will be able to get some help with them.

Best to read and follow the setup guides located here:

http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_setup
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ppc ... or-windows

When you hit a stumbling block start a topic in the appropriate forum folder describing your problem.
repulsivefrog
Space Cadet

Post by repulsivefrog »

I have windows 10 64 bit. 3.2 GHz AMD quad-core. I have tried to simply run the newest version of sheepshaver, and it does nothing. no error messages, it just does nothing. as for the quem, I try and run it, and again it was the most recent version, and the emulator window opens, but I see no place to insert the version of mac os I wish to use, for that matter, I see nothing to show me what to do. Is it all command line? is there a GUI? I am at a loss. and so far, none of the guilds seem to make and sense.

Am I using too new of a computer?
repulsivefrog
Space Cadet

Post by repulsivefrog »

for me, I just want to be able to run the games we can get on Macintosh Gardens. As for the version of OS X, I am honestly not sure. I guess it needs to be the classic as I found the one I managed to run in vmware says it cannot run the classic games at all.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

repulsivefrog wrote:I have tried to simply run the newest version of sheepshaver, and it does nothing. no error messages, it just does nothing.
Maybe you only have the latest SheepShaver.exe and not the needed additional files? Did you follow all steps in the setup guide? Specifically, did you get the additional files under "To get started, always download this" in the first post in the forum topic with the downloads?