Issues starting up Sheepshaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Monosaturate
Space Cadet

Issues starting up Sheepshaver

Post by Monosaturate »

Hi! I'm new to this forum and I need some help starting up my Sheepshaver program. If this has already been asked, then I apologize, but I'm still gonna ask it! haha. anyway, I set up everything seemingly correctly, the only issue, that I believe to be the cause of Sheepshaver crashing, is the ROM Image file. I have two ROM image files. One is the Mac OS 8.5 ROM Image from the Installer CD-ROM. The other is the Quadra650.rom file.
Both are under 4MB (8.5 is 1.8MB and Quadra is 1MB). However, with the 8.5 Image file, Sheepshaver loads a black window, appearing as though it's going to start, but then "unexpectedly quits." For the latter ROM, it gives an error message stating that it's an "invalid ROM size" and that it requires a "4MB PCI PowerMac ROM." So those are my issues. I don't know if I'm missing something or just going about it wrong, but in either case, any help would be amazing. I'm just a guy who got nostalgic about my old Macs that I used to own and what to play around with them again!
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Re: Issues starting up Sheepshaver

Post by yksoft1 »

Monosaturate wrote:Hi! I'm new to this forum and I need some help starting up my Sheepshaver program. If this has already been asked, then I apologize, but I'm still gonna ask it! haha. anyway, I set up everything seemingly correctly, the only issue, that I believe to be the cause of Sheepshaver crashing, is the ROM Image file. I have two ROM image files. One is the Mac OS 8.5 ROM Image from the Installer CD-ROM. The other is the Quadra650.rom file.
Both are under 4MB (8.5 is 1.8MB and Quadra is 1MB). However, with the 8.5 Image file, Sheepshaver loads a black window, appearing as though it's going to start, but then "unexpectedly quits." For the latter ROM, it gives an error message stating that it's an "invalid ROM size" and that it requires a "4MB PCI PowerMac ROM." So those are my issues. I don't know if I'm missing something or just going about it wrong, but in either case, any help would be amazing. I'm just a guy who got nostalgic about my old Macs that I used to own and what to play around with them again!
Quadra650.rom is a 68K ROM that will never be compatible with SS.
OS8.5's Mac OS ROM is not compatible now.
(by far Mac OS ROM from the Mac OS ROM Update 1.0 or the ROM from PowerMac 9500 is the best ROM for sheepshaver.)