Problem Running Sheepshaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

wasabi25
Space Cadet

Problem Running Sheepshaver

Post by wasabi25 »

Hello! I'm new to the forum, to mac, and everything else!
Well..It all started when my friend gave me his Unreal Tournament CD to play on my new Macbook, since few games run here.
Well...I got a bit of problem trying to install it, and ended up finding out that it would not run on MAC OS X.
So, I made an iso/dmg of my friend's Mac OS 9.2.1, since I couldn't get it anywhere! =/
Still haven'tr tried it out...Decided to, first, make Sheepshaver work...All this by reading forums like this one.
I even got this "free version" 7.5.3...But it said I also needed a rom...I got a rom...MAC OS ROM Update...But I'm stuck on this one...COuld not run Tomeviewer, so used Pacific...
After doing that, I got some files, but I can't use them.. :(
It says it is not supported by the system,...
Whta should I do??
Please help heheh
:)
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

And welcome to this forum.
Let's see if I understand correctly: You have an Intel Mac book and want the run SheepShaver to run Unreal Tournament 2004? Or UT 3?

To run SheepShaver you'll need the rom file you already have, a Mac OS version that is not higher then 9.0.4 and capable of being installed on any PPC Mac (not just a single machine version). So the 9.2.1 version you have will not in SheepShaver.

What are the system requirements for UT on the Mac? If it is anything higher then Mac OS 9.0.4 then SheepShaver will not run it.
Also, Sheepshaver will slow down the game considerably.

Do you also know about the update the game producer created to run UT 2004 on Intel Mac's? Please refer here: http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=18155

So, there might be better ways to run UT on your machine then through SheepShaver, although I always love a new SheepShaver user, of course.

Best wishes,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Problem Running Sheepshaver

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

wasabi25 wrote:But it said I also needed a rom...I got a rom...MAC OS ROM Update...But I'm stuck on this one...COuld not run Tomeviewer, so used Pacific...
After doing that, I got some files, but I can't use them..
You probably tried to use Pacifist. It is not possible to extract the ROM file from the "Mac OS ROM Update Tome" file with Pacifist. That can be done with TomeViewer only and TomeViewer will run on a pre-MacOSX system only. The "some files" you got are possibly the files contained in "Mac OS ROM Update 1.0.smi", but that is not (yet) the ROM file that you need.
wasabi25
Space Cadet

Post by wasabi25 »

Woah, guys. =D
Thanks a lot for both answers.
And, yeah, I was using Pacifist.
And...I was trying to run Unreal Tournament 1.
=/
But..Yeah...Maybe I should try getting 2003 or 2004. Don't know if I'm gonna get good results though.
My MacBook has:2gb of RAM, 2.16Ghz, 64mb video. Which are not a lot, heh.

Anyways, could you guys recommend me some guys for this config? I don't mind playing with low graphs.
Thanks again! :)
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

wasabi25 wrote:Woah, guys. =D
Thanks a lot for both answers.
And, yeah, I was using Pacifist.
And...I was trying to run Unreal Tournament 1.
=/
But..Yeah...Maybe I should try getting 2003 or 2004. Don't know if I'm gonna get good results though.
My MacBook has:2gb of RAM, 2.16Ghz, 64mb video. Which are not a lot, heh.

Anyways, could you guys recommend me some guys for this config? I don't mind playing with low graphs.
Thanks again! :)
your UT1 isn't Carboned application?
may an update can even update the engine into a Cocoa version so it at least run in rosetta..
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

yksoft1 wrote:your UT1 isn't Carboned application?
may an update can even update the engine into a Cocoa version so it at least run in rosetta..
Even many carbonized PPC applications, like Apple's own old AppleWorks, run fine using Rosetta on Intel Macs. AppleWorks apparently even runs on Intel under 10.5 Leopard.
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
yksoft1 wrote:your UT1 isn't Carboned application?
Even many carbonized PPC applications, like Apple's own old AppleWorks, run fine using Rosetta on Intel Macs. AppleWorks apparently even runs on Intel under 10.5 Leopard.
Classic will be DISABLED if you upgrade 10.4 (with Classic enabled) to 10.5.
That's really sad and angrifying thing.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I know, no Classic in 10.5, also not on PPC. No surprise really, we could see this coming for years.

Most PPC MacOSX applications, both carbon and cocoa applications will now still run fine in 10.5 on Intel under Rosetta, but we should not be surprised when support for Rosetta wil be discontinued in 10.6 or 10.7 and I am quite certain that 10.5 will be the last version that can run on PPC Macs.

(I think we are drifting off-topic. :wink: )
DrLex
Tinkerer

Post by DrLex »

I think running any kind of FPS game more modern than Duke Nukem 3D in SS is a bad idea, even on a fast Mac. You will get very choppy framerates, if the game runs at all. SS has no support for graphics acceleration.

For the original UT, there is a OS X port that runs in Rosetta. However, it's doomed to stay in its unfinished state forever, and the network part is buggy which causes a systematic lag when playing online. This is especially annoying for other people playing against you, because it will appear as if you're playing from the other side of the planet even if you're on the same LAN.
Otherwise, UT2004 runs pretty well on a MacBook if you update it to the native Intel version. It's of course not the same game, but I personally prefer the gameplay to the original UT :wink:
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

DrLex wrote:I think running any kind of FPS game more modern than Duke Nukem 3D in SS is a bad idea, even on a fast Mac. You will get very choppy framerates, if the game runs at all. SS has no support for graphics acceleration.

For the original UT, there is a OS X port that runs in Rosetta. However, it's doomed to stay in its unfinished state forever, and the network part is buggy which causes a systematic lag when playing online. This is especially annoying for other people playing against you, because it will appear as if you're playing from the other side of the planet even if you're on the same LAN.
Otherwise, UT2004 runs pretty well on a MacBook if you update it to the native Intel version. It's of course not the same game, but I personally prefer the gameplay to the original UT :wink:
Not all 3D games after Duck Nukem 3D (if released before 1999) MUST USE 3D accelerator to run. My Tomb Raider 3 run in software mode in SheepShaver in full frames in my Core Duo PC (yes I am mainly a PC user and even own and use a genuine retail copy of the big evil Vista, but I don't have a Mac enough for OS9 use so I use sheepshaver in Windows and my Aluminium PB with MacOSX tiger).
gedgar
Space Cadet

Post by gedgar »

yksoft1 wrote:
DrLex wrote:Duck Nukem
Now THAT sound like an interesting game!
mhmyers
Student Driver

Post by mhmyers »

I was getting very choppy play with ProPinball until I increased the refresh rate to 60 in the GUI.