Sheepshaver ejecting OS9 cd

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

EvilMonkeySlayer
Student Driver

Sheepshaver ejecting OS9 cd

Post by EvilMonkeySlayer »

No matter what I do when I try starting up Sheepshaver with an OS9 cd in the drive it ejects the cd every time.

I made an image (first using disk utility and then under windows using imgburn)

However, it gives me this error when I try booting using that cd image:

I got around this problem in the past by creating a Linux VM and then instaling OS9 in Sheepshaver in Linux and then copying that over to my Mac. I'm not really wanting to do that again. Does anyone know how I can get this darn thing working?

This is on a Macbook Pro.
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

Can't you just boot SheepShaver with the actual OS 9 CD?
EvilMonkeySlayer
Student Driver

No, because as soon as Sheepshaver starts the OS9 cd is ejected. I don't know whether it and OS X have a little tiff over drive access or whatever but once Sheepshaver starts up after a short period of drive activity the OS9 cd ejects.

This is a retail boxed version of OS 9.0.4 by the way.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

SheepShaver should boot fine from the CD when started while the CD is mounted in MacOSX. I have used SheepShaver on several machines with MacOSX, both PPC and Intel, and never had a problem with booting SheepShaver from a install CD.
No matter what I do
You do not need to do anything but mount the CD first and than start SheepShaver. What are your settings for SheepShaver?
EvilMonkeySlayer
Student Driver

I'll post them shortly (on my windows desktop machine at the moment), the config files for sheepshaver are located in the /users/username directory aren't they?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

It is in your Home directory with the name ".sheepshaver_prefs".
EvilMonkeySlayer
Student Driver

Thought so, I found it anyway:

disk /Users/markcasey/Documents/OS9/OS9
disk /Users/markcasey/Desktop/os9.iso
cdrom /dev/poll/cdrom
extfs /users/markcasey/documents/os9
screen win/640/480
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala <none>
serialb <none>
rom /Users/markcasey/Documents/OS9/Mac_ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 134217728
frameskip 1
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv true
idlewait true
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I do not see anything that can explain why booting from the CD does not work on your MacBook Pro. (I suppose the iso file is not in the volumes list when trying to boot from the CD.)
EvilMonkeySlayer
Student Driver

Correct, when trying to boot from the cd I remove the iso of os9. The odd thing is the exact same thing happened on my Macbook. (like I said, I got around this in the past by using sheepshaver in a linux vm and copying the installed os9 hardfile)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Very strange indeed.
- You use the drive in your MacBook (Pro)?
- Which version/build of SheepShaver do you use?
- Do you have any unusual process running or any unusual setting in MacOSX?
EvilMonkeySlayer
Student Driver

Very strange indeed.
- You use the drive in your MacBook (Pro)?
- Which version/build of SheepShaver do you use?
- Do you have any unusual process running or any unusual setting in MacOSX?
Yep, using the drive in my Macbook Pro. (HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N)

I've currently got a few, the first is the ye olde 2006 version from the site which has sheepshaver and the other builds are the UB build and Intel builds from this forum.

I can't say I have anything particularly unusual about my OS X setup. My Macbook Pro is very new (had it about a month now).

The only things that I think make it stand out from normal is the following: Rearranged layout of the date on the toolbar, got steermouse, afloat, default apps, smcfancontrol and flip4mac installed. Also got bootcamp 1.4 installed with an XP Professional NTFS partition. Universal access has been disabled.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

If I encounter unexpected behaviour, one of the the things I try is restart with all extra login items disabled and you seem to have quite a few of those. If you do not want to remove them from the Accounts preferences, you can use a utility like TinkerTool to temporarily disable them.
(It is past midnight now on this side of the world, so I will not be here for further discussion until tomorrow.)
EvilMonkeySlayer
Student Driver

I just tried it on my windows work machine and the exact same behaviour occurs. If I use the cd then it ejects it after a short amount of time and if I use an ISO then it complains about not being original media.

I'm now thinking of downloading OS9 from the net even though I have a legit version to hand.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

On my new iMac, the CD will be ejected if I launch SheepShaver too early. Could it be that you do that, insert the CD and immediately launch SheepShaver?

The CD has to be read and properly mounted by the host system before SheepShaver is launched.
EvilMonkeySlayer
Student Driver

Yep, i'm giving it plenty of time. I'm not inserting the cd just as i'm launching it etc.
EvilMonkeySlayer
Student Driver

For example, just now I inserted the OS9 cd and left it for a minute or two. I then started up Sheepshaver, it spun up the cd and then ejected it.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

It should not be needed when no other bootable volume is available, but did you try with the setting "Boot from CD-ROM"?
(In the pref file that will translate as: "bootdriver -62".)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

This happens on both your MacBook Pro and your Windows work machine. The only common factor is the CD itself. Maybe there is a problem with the CD.
EvilMonkeySlayer
Student Driver

It appears as though I have got it working on my windows machine, I set the boot from to "cd-rom". I then started up Sheepshaver with the OS9 cd in the drive. It ejected it as normal, I then closed the tray and noticed it then proceeded to boot up the OS9 installer! (initialise drive etc)

I'll try recreating the same conditions when I get home and access to my Macbook Pro.
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

I think there is something wrong with your ROM file.
danco
Inquisitive Elf

Post by danco »

I am wondering about a similar issue.

I have an external drive as well as the intyernal one.

I can boot with my Disk Warrior CD in either drive.

If I have the Disk Warrior CD in the internal drive and an install CD in the external (it isn't a universal install disk, so I wouldn't expect to be able to boot from it) then it seems the install disk is not recognised.

If I put the install disk in my internal drive and the Disk Warrior disk in the external one, then after a while the install disk gets ejected and Sheepshaver just hangs (I would have expected it to try the Disk Warrior disk once it could not use the install disk, but it didn't).

one possible clue is that, because I had to use a hack for any chance of the install disk to work (see another thread), and so had to make a copy of the disk which might need further changes, I used a CD-RW disk rather than an ordinary CD. Could that make a difference.

My Mac is a PowerBook running OS 10.4.10, and Sheepshaver is the August 2007 PPC version.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

You mean that you can boot SheepShaver from both the internal drive and the external drive? I did not know that SheepShaver recognizes CDs in external drives.

I think it is better to only use the internal drive to boot SheepShaver from a CD and maybe even disconnect the external drive.

Another issue may be the disk image you used for the hack. In order to be able to burn a CD that will be recognized as a original install CD, you should create a DVD/CD master image from the CD with Disk Utility, use that .cdr image for the hack and again burning a CD. I would use a CD-R rather than a CD-RW, but I do not know if that makes any difference.

(SheepShaver will usually boot from a non-universal installation CD, but the installer will refuse to work on a different Mac model.)
danco
Inquisitive Elf

Post by danco »

Yes, definitely, the most recent version of SheepShaver evidently supports external CD rives connected via USB. I think the earlier version did not.

As mentioned in the Install Hack thread, until I either get a universal 8.5 install disk or any 9.0 disk, I don't know the correct modification for my machine-specific 8.5 disk. I don't feel like just trying a change to see if it works, so I don't want to go to a CD rather than a CD-RW.

Anyway, I can wait. Currently, I have a PowerBook, so don't need SheepShaver. I'm just playing around with SheepShaver, hoping to get it working before I switch to an Intel machine.

I am having some oddities, but I won't report on them until I am using a normal OS version rather than a DiskWarrior version, and see if the problems remain.
Ahnyer_Keester
Space Cadet

Re: Sheepshaver ejecting OS9 cd

Post by Ahnyer_Keester »

I had the same problem with OS X 10.9 and SheepShaver 2.4.20120715. After noodling around the internet and then trying Basilisk II with the same results, I stumbled across the answer.

10.9 (I think it started with 10.8) wouldn't let the user access the CD-ROM. To fix this, and it isn't the best fix but it works, you have to add the current user to the Operator group. To do that, open a Terminal window and enter:

Code: Select all

sudo dscl . -append /Groups/operator GroupMembership $USER
Enter an admin password and try again. It worked for me and now I'm installing Age of Empires II once again. :)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Sheepshaver ejecting OS9 cd

Ahnyer_Keester wrote:you have to add the current user to the Operator group.
Beware! Only do that if you are fully aware of the implications! This is not something an average user should do. Normally, even administrators are not part of the operator group. It will give the user access to raw disks and circumvent all file permissions and read anything they want on any disk.

You can achieve the same by sudo-launching SheepShaver in Terminal. Also something an average user should better not do, but at least this is temporary, will only last as long as SheepShaver runs and affects SheepShaver only. (To run SheepShaver this way, all paths in SheepShaver preferences need to be full paths.)

In OSX 10.8 and later you can make an image of your CD with DiskUtility and use the image. The procedure is explained in our SheepShaver for OSX setup guide, in "Introduction" and more comprehensively in "Known issues".
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: