Multi Disc Games, DVDs, Initialize Disc Fix: TUTORIAL

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Drathian
Student Driver

Multi Disc Games, DVDs, Initialize Disc Fix: TUTORIAL

Post by Drathian »

Hi, I've spent over 200+ hours fiddling with various things trying to get a PPC game called the Journeyman Project Pegasus Prime working perfectly on a Windows XP SP2-3/Vista Computer. Unfortunately as many of you might have noticed the cdrom driver for basilisk 2/sheepshaver is very buggy and does not always work right, causing the not so fun "Initialize Disc" prompt. I have two solutions, the latter one is the best but last one that I discovered, but the other is where I started from:

Requirements for optimial Pegasus Prime playing experience:

Latest Version of Sheepshaver for Windows NT/XP/Vista:

http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/en/projects/sheepshaver

Latest version available is 2.3 Pre 03/30/2009.

*Update now found below*

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5325

**Note: while this isn't required to use the latest version if you want to get the video working without any bugs use this one**

SheepShaver Settings:

Try to automaticall detect new removable media (enable polling): checked

RAM Setting: 64+ Mb (if you want to use 1GB use 1023 MB (that is 1024 setting minus 1) as the number otherwise you will probably get a Bad RAM Descriptor Error Message)

ROM FILE: New Aged PPC Rom if you want to run OS 9+ or any PPC old world Rom for 8- (not advised) if you get a Bad ROM discriptor for a rom you have used before sometimes it will work if you reboot the computer (another SheepShaver/Windows bug)

Ignore Illegal Memory Accesses: Checked

Disable Keycode file (otherwise the buttons won't work)

Enable JIT Compiler: Checked

Enable built-in 68k DR Emulator (EXPERIMENTAL): Checked

Software Side Setup:

Mac OS 9.04 Install (like the next item this is required for video to not have glitches) though remember to go to sound and select built in in order for sound to work (if that option doesn't appear, you are using an old PPC rom you'll need a newworld rom.

Quicktime 4.03 (this is Mandatory version if you want the video to run right without glitches)

Apple DrawSprockets 1.75 (another required for video to work):

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=31236

Stuffit Expander (not free)

To install Pegasus Prime do not use the CDROM installer, although copy a few extensions found on the CD1 that you DON'T already have to the system extension folder. Instead of installing Pegaus Prime run this sit file it will install pegaus prime without overwriting your Quicktime Version with a worse even older one:

http://presto.tommyyune.com/presto/jour ... e_game.sit

Okay follow the above should get you to launch Pegaus Prime, but you'll notice something when you use the transporter, it will ask you to insert another disc, and will eject the current one, a common problem with SheepShaver cdrom driver, is if a disk isn't inserted before boot it won't recognize it, this happened to me on several differnet computers running Windows XP SP2 and SP3 (and yes i mean 3 heh). My version of Vista Premium 32 bit doesn't have this problem at all for some reason, but you might want to read on anyways as you still won't be able to run DVD games unless you do.

Okay here is my solutions for a Windows XP SP2/3 computer that does not recognize Disk Changes + DVD support in Mac OS:

Solution 1)

Using VMWARE Hardware System Virtualizer, make a linux installation that is compable with sheepshaver (prolly some dev tools, networking tools in the least) and run it like the above but NEVER in full screen (unless someone finds a different way). This will require some linux knowledge and stuff about computers in general (like networking and stuff), but it was my first fix, I used SAMBA to transfer my Mac hfv files to linux via a home network i had. The easiest linux distribution to use IMO is Mandriva, and is the one I used, you'll want to download the rpm version of the latest sheepshaver build. This worked but was a pain in the butt, took most of the time I had to learn how to use and get it playable :( . And as a side effect NO FULLSCREEN or it will crash Linux (dunno if an actual linux installed would do the same but who knows).

Solution 2)

Note: This one believe it or not I discovered last night, after months (since July) of tinkering with this it works on windows XP/Vista, AND allows DVD in XP and Vista for Sheepshaver :D :

After you have a running system that requires a multiCD game you'll need a program for Mac OS:

TO FIX THE initilialize Disk Error Messages, and CD changes you'll need the Joliet File System for Mac OS7-9

Version 2.1b5 is what I tested it with but know that it is sharware, so if you use it and feel appreciative, (like I will in about a week when I next get payed), PAY FOR IT heh.

http://www.tempel.org/joliet/

You'll get a file called JVA 2.1b5 . sit you'll need to use stuffit expander or an equivalent to extract it and it will give you a folder with a Control Panel and an Extension, copy the extension to System Extensions Folder, and reboot, and you can start using it.

****IMPORTANT****

Even though it is installed as an extension, you will have to keep this program open after you click ok when you are done configuring what you want) in order for it to take over disc inserts from the Mac OS system/SheepShaver:

CD's will be automatically detected and ejected in multidisc games, I tested this on 3 computers and 3 different operating systems heh.

DVDs:

Well this is slightly more complicated, as when you insert one when this program IS running, it will detect it, but most of the time will not auto-mount it which is what allows you to use it, so you'll have to click on the drive list IN the Joliet program to the DVD you put in, and click on Sessions and Mount, now it should show up in the system, (if it is still shareware click the X on the shareware reminder), and remember to keep this program open while you play.

------------------------------------------------------

Hope this little tutorial helps someone with the same problems, save as much time wasted and less hair pulling out as I had (though I did learn a lot about linux lol)
Last edited by Drathian on Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

Everyone knows that Classic Mac OS do not support Windows' Joilet CD Filesystem by its own.But why a Mac game use ISO9660+Joilet filesystem on a Mac CD?
I recommend you upgrade QT to 4.1.2 or 5.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

A freeware alternative to "Joliet File System for Mac OS 7-9" is "Joke Ridge".
http://www.tempel.org/joliet/
http://www.alex-castro.com/jokeridge/

See also comparison chart: http://www.alex-castro.com/jokeridge/alternatives.html
temperedreason
Student Driver

Pegasus Prime Help!!

Post by temperedreason »

I am desperately looking for help in getting this game to run smoothly. The user Drathian has only posted once since he joined last year, and he seems to be the only one I have spoken to that has knowledge of this game and getting it to run on Sheepshaver.

Anyone else care to help me out, maybe via IM or PM? I've got Sheepshaver installed. I have the system installed. I am using a ROM and Mac OS 9.04 is running smoothly. I am using an Intel iMac to emulate OS 9.

Pegasus Prime boots up, but the sound constantly hiccups, burps, skips, jumps, etc. QT FMV movies do not play. I am at least partially sure that part of the reason for this error is because of the extensions problem that was overwritten, but I'm not sure. Next, I may have to tackle the Disc-swap problem if its still a problem, but first thing is first.

Any help will be SO appreciated.
rleatherwood
Space Cadet

Post by rleatherwood »

Joliet File System extension/control panel is now freeware as of March 2008.
Drathian
Student Driver

Post by Drathian »

thx for the update on Joliet File System, anyhow i'm going to fine tune this article with the newer stuff.

The Free Reg code can be found here now:
http://www.tempel.org/joliet/#pay
dtaylorl
Space Cadet

Post by dtaylorl »

I am trying to get Buried In Time to work under SheepShaver in Ubuntu. It works until I need to switch discs, but then it doesn't. I tried your suggestion of installing Joliet or Joke Ridge but it still doesn't work. I noticed that SheepShaver is giving me the error "FATAL: .AppleCD/Control(100): unimplemented TOC type" whenever I mount a disc. I also continue to get the error "WARNING: Unknown CDROMStatus(97)" which indicates to me that Joliet isn't doing its job. Any suggestions? I can also try under windows XP... which do you think I'll have better luck on?
Drathian
Student Driver

Re: Multi Disc Games, DVDs, Initialize Disc Fix: TUTORIAL

Post by Drathian »

I thought I'd revist this thread with some new information. After another several days of work recently I finally discovered how to:

a) load hfs images on linux
b) mount the images as readable by SheepShaver

My first attempt was to use the images I made of Pegasus Prime in windows in linux... to make a long painful story short. mds/mdf files are not liked in linux.

So I utilized a software called mdf2iso or iat is its modern version but it didn't work like i had hoped.
http://mdf2iso.berlios.de/

attempting to mount the cd image as iso9660 failed

so I tried the command similar to this using hfs instead.

mount -t hfs -o loop /path/PP_DISK1.ISO /media/cdrom

and lo and behold the cdrom was readable in /media/cdrom

However SheepShaver doesn't read the cdrom from /media/cdrom

In the SheepShaver preferences file I took an attempt from windows
by adding the value:
cdrom /dev/sr0

that allows an actual cd to be read in SheepShaver in linux.

This led me on another quest to find out how to emulate cd devices like in windows using daemon tools.

I stumbled onto this bit of software and it works!

http://cdemu.sourceforge.net/

Only problem is that hfs formated iso's don't mount in cdemu.

Almost giving up hope I tried the command:

cdemu enum-supported-parsers

got the following:

Code: Select all

PARSER-CUE: CUE images
  PARSER-NRG: NRG (Nero Burning Rom) images
  PARSER-CDI: CDI (DiscJuggler) images
  PARSER-DAA: PowerISO direct access archives
  PARSER-XCDROAST: X-CD-Roast TOC files
  PARSER-CIF: CIF (Adaptec Easy CD Creator) images
  PARSER-C2D: C2D (CeQuadrat WinOnCD) images
  PARSER-ISO: ISO images
  PARSER-MDS: MDS (Media descriptor) images
  PARSER-READCD: READCD images
  PARSER-B6T: BlindWrite 5/6 images
  PARSER-TOC: Cdrdao TOC files
  PARSER-CCD: CCD (CloneCD) images
I noticed that mds files are readable on here so i went back to my mds images and it worked at last!

cdemu load 0 /path/PP_DISK1.mds

then in the preferences file I loaded
cdrom /dev/sr1

since sr0 is the actual cdrom drive on my system

Note following my directions from earlier I think I still need to leave up joliet file system program running in the background.

Also on a side note:

Pegasus Prime does not work (launch) if your linux is set to 24bit color so i changed it to 16bit and in the MacOS run on sheepshaver changed it to Thousand of Colors.

I am very happy to be playing again. Understatement of the Year! :)

--- The whole point of this exercise is that i decided to revist this project however on windows 7 64bit neither the ethernet or cdrom drivers worked. I did have to recompile SheepShaver for my flavor of linux though, Magiea 1 Cauldron (Mandriva/Mandrake/redhat clone). So I painfully got it to work in linux since i have nvidia optimus support in it via optirun/ironhide. My XP on my current laptop doesn't have 3d support so its much slower.

--------------------------

to the last poster, if you're still around i get that error too but it works for me I might try my buried in time mac ppc discs later to see if its different.
Parsa
Space Cadet

Post by Parsa »

I can't seem to get the game (also Pegasus Prime) to switch to disc 2. It just freezes there waiting. I have both discs mounted on the desktop (made .cdr files from discs and used Preferences GUI to let them load in SS.
Does this work on an OS X machine? Is there some special thing I need to do in the Joliet control panel?
Largo
Space Cadet

Post by Largo »

I found this thread through a Google search: I'm also trying to run Buried in Time and Pegasus Prime via SheepShaver on my new Mac mini running Yosemite. Please give me some pointers on how to get SheepShaver to play these multi-disc games. Thanks in advance.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

If it requires the orignal discs, you may be out of luck. If it just requires the assets, you can sometimes copy the discs to a HD and put the assets in one folder. Beyond that, you're into software hacking territory, to rewrite where it's looking for the assets.
Largo
Space Cadet

Post by Largo »

Well, I believe I've solved the Pegasus Prime multi-disc issue by simply purchasing the DVD-ROM version of the game from the JMP Store for $14.95 . If this JMP DVD-ROM doesn't run in Yosemite, it will run in Sheepshaver under OS8 or OS9 -- but we shall see. However, it still looks like I'm SOL concerning JMP2: Buried in Time. :sad:

Sheesh -- with this most recent purchase, I'll own every frickin' edition of The Journeyman Project game: (1) super-slow first edition (2) JMP Turbo (3) Pegasus Prime CD-ROM (4) Pegasus Prime DVD-ROM. When will this obsession of mine ever end!??! :???:
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

Pegasus Prime is also now supported by ScummVM, if you happen to already have a copy somehow; ScummVM runs pretty much anywhere. (According to http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Pegasus , the DVD version in fact uses a modified version of ScummVM.)