Using a disk image

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Doctor Who
Space Cadet

Using a disk image

Post by Doctor Who »

I'm pretty sure I'm posting this in the wrong forum but anyway. I want to run mechwarrior 2 with sheepshaver.

I need the disk in so first I tried saving the mechwarrior 2 disk as a disk image but it always saves it as an audio cd.

I try to saving the Mac OS 8.5 disk as a disk image but for some reason sheepshaver will not run with the disk image. It just sits with there with the grey window.

When the cd's are mounted they have cdrw on them. I don't remember seeing that before on other disk images.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I moved this topic from General Macintosh emulation to this section.

Did you use DiskUtility to create the images?

If so, please check to not create images with read/write on. Just select "read only" and encryption "none".

Anyway, you don't need to make an image if you have the Mac OS installation disk.
If your Mac 8.5 CD is an orgininal and a so called universal OS disk it should just boot with SheepShaver. Let it mount to the OSX desktop first and start SheepShaver. (assuming you didn't deselect cd rom support in the GUI).
You can then install Mac OS. Or did you already succeed with that?

Let me try to recapitulate. To install Mac OS with SheepShaver, you need:
-the rom file
-a hard disk image created with the GUI to install Mac OS on (lets say 500Mb)
-an universal Mac OS cdrom

If you got Mac OS 8.5 running in SheepShaver, it should support CD's. Just let the Mechwarrior disk mount to the OSX desktop and start SheepShaver.

Only when changing from disk1 to disk2 of Mechwarrior doesn't work, you might need to create disk images. (and add both to the Volumes list in the SheepShaver GUI).

As for the Mechwarrior disks, how do they look when mounted in OSX itself?

Please try to be a bit more informative about how far you've got, so we have a better idea where things go wrong.

Best,
Cat_7
Doctor Who
Space Cadet

Post by Doctor Who »

Sorry, I'll try to be more informative. :oops:

I can't have both disks in at the same time. So I need to have a disk image of one of them. I use toast to burn the images.

I made sure the images were read only this time. Sheepshaver still didn't recognize the 8.5 disk image. It just sits there with a blank screen.

I have a problem with the Mechwarior 2 disk. When you put the disk in regularly in shows up as two disks. An audio disk and the actual game. When I try to burn it in toast, I drag the right Mechwarrior disk onto the program but it says its an audio disk no matter what.
Doctor Who
Space Cadet

Post by Doctor Who »

I got a portable disk drive so I could put both cd's in the same time to see if it would work.

I opened up sheepshaver but it didn't see the Mechwarrior 2 disk.

EDIT: wait, does the disk have to appear on the sheepshaver desktop to mean it is being recognized in sheepshaver? I tried entering mechwarrior 2 expecting the "Please insert disk message."

I got "The application mechwarrior 2 could not be opened because "Quickdraw 3d Accelerator" could not be found.

I tried the same thing with a different game without the cd and it said OpenGl was not installed.
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

Doctor Who wrote:I got a portable disk drive so I could put both cd's in the same time to see if it would work.

I opened up sheepshaver but it didn't see the Mechwarrior 2 disk.

EDIT: wait, does the disk have to appear on the sheepshaver desktop to mean it is being recognized in sheepshaver? I tried entering mechwarrior 2 expecting the "Please insert disk message."

I got "The application mechwarrior 2 could not be opened because "Quickdraw 3d Accelerator" could not be found.

I tried the same thing with a different game without the cd and it said OpenGl was not installed.
SS don't support any 3D acceleration.
Doctor Who
Space Cadet

Post by Doctor Who »

yksoft1 wrote: SS don't support any 3D acceleration.
Oh snap, :( . Is there an emulator out there that does support it?
Doctor Who
Space Cadet

Post by Doctor Who »

Sorry to bother but is there an emulator that supports "Quickdraw 3d Accelerator?"
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

There is no other emulator supporting OS 9 anywhere :cry:
But the Quickdraw 3D extension, is it loaded during startup?

It sits there in my extensions folder and gets loaded at system start. Maybe the error is originating from some place else.

Did you check the system requirement for the game? What are they?

Best,
Cat_7
HMV
Space Cadet

Re: Using a disk image

Post by HMV »

I found this 7 year old thread and deemed it worthy of bringing back to life. Hi there, I'm brand new and have very little idea of what I'm doing.

I'm running SheepShaver OS 9 on my Mac Pro running Snow Leopard, and am also trying to run Mechwarrior 2, RAVE 3D version for mac. I do not have a CD but was able to download the complete program with disk image and install using SheepShaver. It will not run however, and I don't know how to trick it into thinking there's a CD in the drive. I didn't have this issue while installing. I've tried mounting with an .iso, .dmg, .cdr in the shared folder but it doesn't work.

How can I correctly create a disk image (I used Disk Utility) that will be recognized in OS9 as a CD? Or is there a way I can bypass the CD check?

Thanks.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Using a disk image

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

- Do you use a regular build of SheepShaver (if so, which one) or do you use Chubby Bunny COI?

- If you use a regular SheepShaver build, disk images need to be added to the volumes list in SheepShaver preferences in order to mount them in OS9, adding them to the shared folder does not work.

- A disk image created in Disk Utility in "read/write" (.dmg) or in "DVD/CD Master" (.cdr) format will work, but an .iso image should work also.

- It is usually best to lock a CD image file in the OSX Finder (see Finder Info panel for the file).

- If you manage to mount the CD in OS9, but the game software complaints that it needs the real original CD, you will need the workaround with Virtual DVD-ROM/CD Utility as described in our setup guide. The description is for Mountain Lion and later but the procedure is the same for Snow Leopard.
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... own_issues
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: