sound makes sheepshaver crashes

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

dolarfred
Student Driver

sound makes sheepshaver crashes

Post by dolarfred »

Two month ago, sheepshaver worked well, but now
when a sound (alert sound or program sound) plays,
it doesn't work (official gwendole build or 21 july build, it's the same).
I'm on mac intel 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 2 Go OSX 10.4.11 - French
Sheepshaver + quicktime 4.1.2 + OS 9.0.4
is it because of new apple updates...?
Is it other users with this kind of problems ?
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Re: sound makes sheepshaver crashes

Post by yksoft1 »

dolarfred wrote:Two month ago, sheepshaver worked well, but now
when a sound (alert sound or program sound) plays,
it doesn't work (official gwendole build or 21 july build, it's the same).
I'm on mac intel 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 2 Go OSX 10.4.11 - French
Sheepshaver + quicktime 4.1.2 + OS 9.0.4
is it because of new apple updates...?
Is it other users with this kind of problems ?
Does removing Apple Audio Extension and Sound Manager work?
Does downgrading Quicktime to 4.0.3 or 2.1/2.5 work?
dolarfred
Student Driver

sound makes sheepshaver crashes (solved)

Post by dolarfred »

OS 9.0.4 open transport extensions generated these crashes
removing these extensions, the sound is OK (but internet not available).
So i've replace with OS 8.6 Open Transport extension (exept Open transport apple talk extensions), and it goes well.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

No such problems here with sound on any SheepShaver build with the original 9.0.4 OpenTransport, in MacOSX 10.4.11 and MacOSX 10.5.4 on both G4 and Intel Core 2 Duo.
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:No such problems here with sound on any SheepShaver build with the original 9.0.4 OpenTransport, in MacOSX 10.4.11 and MacOSX 10.5.4 on both G4 and Intel Core 2 Duo.
Machine-specific OS tends to have more problems than retail build in Sheepshaver.
Gottesfreunde
Space Cadet

Post by Gottesfreunde »

Hi, I am new to Sheepshaver and have had quite a time getting it to run without stalling out or crashing.

I think I have finally been able to narrow down the issue to the sound. If the preference is checked to disable audio output then OS 9.0.4 starts well under 10.6.8.

However, if I leave that unchecked, I will get sound and be able to launch the first time (maybe), but then it crashes after that first launch.

Is there any advice on this issue, or what extensions may be the conflict?
Gottesfreunde
Space Cadet

Post by Gottesfreunde »

After some trial and error, I was able to apparently correct the problem. It stemmed from at least one of the sounds in my System folder in OS 9.0.4. After removing the sounds and going to just the original ones pulled over from 9.0, the system starts without problem.
Mcikaelbehn
Space Cadet

Post by Mcikaelbehn »

Well after running a new install build of OS 9.0.4 everything worked great. a few crashes but nothing out of the ordinary. but what i did notice is that i had no sound in the sound control panel the built in selection wasn't there.
So i selected the Appearance panel and turned on "platinum" sounds for the OS9.
after a reboot Sheepshaver wouldn't boot pass the first extention screen boot (no extension icon show).
and it just gets stuck in that window.

I rebooted with extensions off and it boots fine and oddly enough sound works, platinum sounds work fine as well.

If i turn off platinum sounds and reboot in normal mode OS9 boots without any problems. This happens with a full loaded install and a clean install of OS9.0.4. both with QT 4 and QT6.

even using extension manager and leaving only the base 9.0.4 selection it still happens. it must be some sort of core extension conflicting at the pre boot stage. not sure.

Im running Mavericks 10.9.1, Latest sheep shaver 2014, OS9.0.4 (retail OS install)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Here (in OSX 10.8.5) SheepShaver with 9.0.4 runs fine with both platinum sounds on or off. Enabling or disabling platinum sounds can be done without rebooting.

"Rebooting" in SheepShaver is best done by shutting down and starting SheepShaver again. Actual rebooting within SheepShaver may sometimes result in a crash.

Note that QuickTime 4.1.2 is the latest version that is fully compatible with SheepShaver. It is not possible to downgrade QT by installing an earlier version over a later version. All QT related files must be removed first.

If extensions "Apple Audio Extension" and/or "Sound Manager" happen to be installed, remove them.
Mickaelbehn
Space Cadet

Post by Mickaelbehn »

Ah ha thats great. thank you so much. i should have asked before creating 4 different clean installs and 2 different old powerbook HD clone transfers to figure it out.

oddly enough i had a Cloned Powerbook Wallstreet G3 system that had 9.0 and that was working great and had quicktime 4 installed as well. and couldn't figure it out.

Ill run through a new install of 9.0.4 without QT 6 and try that.
thank you.
Mickaelbehn
Space Cadet

Post by Mickaelbehn »

Just one more question what doesn't work in QT 6.

i had both apple audio extension and sound manager installed.

but just wondering whats causes QT6 not to work and what i lose by removing it. Im trying to run some old 3D software that may need QT6.

does QT6 work at all or does it just make it unstable ?

thanks and sorry for all the questions.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

With QuickTime later than 4.1.2, several QT movies and other QT files will not be displayed properly. You can check that with the example files that are installed with QuickTime.

Apart from that, most 3D software cannot be used in SheepShaver because the needed video hardware is not emulated.