SheepShaver Setup Error

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

joek1997
Space Cadet

SheepShaver Setup Error

Post by joek1997 »

I have been unable to set up SheepShaver because it crashes at the point at which I need to install the Mac OS. I have a Windows XP system, an official Mac OS 9.0.4 install disc, and a Mac ROM. I downloaded the latest version of SheepShaver for Windows on this site and followed the instructions on this site to set up SheepShaver for Windows up until the "Booting" section. When I double-click SheepShaver to install the OS, I get the start-up screen. However, when the "Starting Up" bar fills up completely, SheepShaver crashes. Does anyone know of a solution?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

What ROM image are you using?

Some of the New World images don't work with the SheepShaver versions on this site.

As a test, try using this version of SheepShaver (from May 2006):

http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/en/proje ... /downloads

Just replace the executable, and see what happens.
joek1997
Space Cadet

Post by joek1997 »

Thanks! I changed the executable to the 2006 version and the crash did not happen again. Just out of curiosity, what is the best ROM to use for the latest version of SheepShaver for Windows?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

There is a ROM contained in "iMac Update 1.1" that will work well with the newest version.

You can use your current SheepShaver setup to extract it from a publicly available file, following this guide:

http://emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_roms

If you get that ROM you can go back to using the most recent version of SheepShaver.
joek1997
Space Cadet

Post by joek1997 »

Just to clarify, yes, the ROM I am using is a New World ROM -- specifically, newworld86.rom.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I'm not an expert in the differences between the ROM images. But some of the new world ROMs work with the latest SheepShaver. And some do not. You'll just have to try out a few. I do know that the iMac Update ROM works fine. That's what I use!
joek1997
Space Cadet

Post by joek1997 »

Thank you clockwise. I tried to extract the ROM from Basilisk using that guide here but have not been able to do it. I was able to mount the iMac Update on my desktop. The problem seems to be with TombViewer.

Specifically, I double-clicked on the tombviewer.sit file, and a file called "TombViewer 1.3d3" now appears in my disk image. The guide here does not say so explicitly, but I think it means to say that I should click on this new file to complete the TombViewer step. After clicking on this new file, following the guide, in the menu bar I select “File –> Open.” But all that happens then is that the following error message appears: "The document 'TombViewer 1.3d3' could not be opened, because the application program that created it could not be found. Could not find a translation extension with appropriate translators." Any ideas or suggestions?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I don't totally understand what you're saying.

When do you get that error message?

You should run "TombViewer 1.3d3." The application won't show any screen or anything. But you can run "File ----> Open" to browse to the iMac Update which you have mounted on the desktop.

Do you get the error immediatly after you hit "open" or do you get the error after you browse to the iMac update? When exactly does that error message happen?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Update: I think I understand.

You are not using "File---> Open" in the regular Mac OS menu bar. You must first run "TombViewer 1.3d3" and THEN use "File ----> Open."

The guide is a bit unclear.
joek1997
Space Cadet

Post by joek1997 »

OK, but when you say "run" "TombViewer 1.3d3", how should I do that? When I double-click on this file *or* single-click on it and go to File --> Open in the menu bar, I get that error message. Sorry, I am not really Mac literate, so please excuse any dumb questions.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Just double click to run it.

Nothing will happen to let you know that it is running except that the menu bar will change. When the menu bar changes, you can use Tomeviewer by going to "file" and selecting "open" and then browing to the mac os rom update tomb.

This illustrates what I mean:

Are you doing it the "good" way? If you are, does the error show up as soon as you hit "open"?
Last edited by ClockWise on Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

A final question before I go to bed: did you unstuff the tomeviewer file in Windows and then copy it to Basilisk II? That would be bad. :)
joek1997
Space Cadet

Post by joek1997 »

I believe that I am doing this the right way, but am getting that error message when I try to run TombViewer 1.3d3. To clarify, I followed one of the methods suggested by the guide to get TombViewer into Basilisk, which was this: I downloaded the tombviewer.sit file from emaculation to my Basilisk folder. In the BasiliskIIGUI, I enabled the "My Computer" icon. I started Basilisk and copied tombviewer.sit to the disk image. Then I double-clicked on tombviewer.sit, which seemed to create the TombViewer 1.3d3 file.

Note that TombViewer 1.3d3 file just looks like a blank page -- I think I saw from one of the screen shots that it's supposed to look more like a normal executable program icon.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I think you are doing it correctly.

I'm not sure what is causing the problem. I just downloaded the same file and it worked fine for me.

I wish I could help. But I don't know what to suggest. :(

You're right... it should look like an application icon.

When you double click, do you get the "good" version of the menu bar, as illustrated in the "good" screenshot?

Meanwhile, you can follow the guide using SheepShaver instead of Basilisk II. Since you DO have a working SheepShaver, try following the same directions in THAT emulated machine.
joek1997
Space Cadet

Post by joek1997 »

In Basilisk, when I double-clicked on the TombViewer 1.3d3 file, I just got the error message, and nothing else would happen. The menu would not change to the "good" state. Anyway, it seems that your workaround did work -- I used the guide except in SheepShaver, and I got the ROM extracted. By the way, has Apple confirmed that this method is legal?

But it seems that it wasn't the ROM that was the original problem after all. When I run the 3/30/09 version of SheepShaver.exe with this ROM, it crashes during startup. Not sure if this is a result of the 2009 version having a bug of some kind or if there is something I can fix easily.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The rom file "newworld86.rom" that can be downloaded from some sites, is in fact the (renamed) file that is extracted from the "Mac OS ROM Update 1.0".