OS 9 crash

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

fanman93
Granny Smith

OS 9 crash

Post by fanman93 »

Whenever I try to boot OS 9 in SheepShaver 2.3, I always get a message that says: "Unimplemented trap. To temporarily turn off extensions, restart and hold down the shift key." Any suggestions?
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

hold down the shift key just after you click the start button in the gui, but before the display window pops up.
fanman93
Granny Smith

No dice.

Post by fanman93 »

Well, I tried that, but it shows the exact same message, even though it does say at the bottom "Extensions Off".
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The unimplemeted trap error at startup is almost always caused by a incompatible or buggy third party extension/control panel or other process that is started as a startup item. If the error is still there at startup with extensions off, the only thing I can think of is a incompatibility of the basic system software itself with the (emulated) hardware it is used on.

What kind of MacOS9 volume do you try to startup from? Where did you get it or how did you create it? Did you use it successfully in SheepShaver before? Which rom file do you use?
fanman93
Granny Smith

Ah, that might be it.

Post by fanman93 »

I'm going to try reinstalling OS 9, and I'll see what happens. I think it might be something I accidentally deleted.
Eternal Inquirer
Space Cadet

"Unimplemented trap"

Post by Eternal Inquirer »

I have the same problem: When I launch SheepShaver, I get the "Unimplemented trap" error message. Even with Extensions Off, the same error still appears.

I'm using the ROM file available from Redundant Robot; the one labeled "Old World 4mb ROM". In my SheepShaver folder it's named "Mac OS ROM".
My disk image is also from Redundant Robot. On the webpage it's labeled "Mac OS 9 Boot Image (120 megs)". In my SheepShaver folder it's named "OS9.img". It's locked and entered in Volumes Preferences under the virtual hard drive.
The virtual hard drive I created is called Mac OS 9.
I'm using Snow Leopard v10.6.3.

Hope that's enough information. Many thanks for all the help so far - I would never have even gotten the emulator running if not for the wide range of topics here.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Use the "New World PPC ROM" instead.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I think the OS9 image you got from redundant robot doesn't provide a complete installation.
Perhaps the best way to proceed would be to find a retail universal OS9 installation disk.
Only CD-Rom images need to be locked when you boot from them to perform an installation. Your Mac OS hard disk should never be locked, because you wouldn't be able to save anything on it. Perhaps there also is a reason for your problem.

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: "Unimplemented trap"

Eternal Inquirer wrote:In my SheepShaver folder it's named "OS9.img". It's locked and entered in Volumes Preferences under the virtual hard drive.
The virtual hard drive I created is called Mac OS 9.
You set this up as if the "OS9.img" from rundundantb robot is a system install CD image, which it is not. It is a virtual hard drive image with a (limited) MacOS 9 installed on it. The file should not be locked.
mac128k
Tinkerer

Post by mac128k »

you optioned the extensions managger?
Eternal Inquirer
Space Cadet

Hmm... using the "New World PPC ROM" got OS9 to launch successfully, but I can't seem to find the system installer. On my Desktop there are only the OS9 hard drive, the Unix drive, and another drive named "Untitled."

I guess the OS9 from Redundant Robot really isn't worth its salt. Tried unlocking it, to no effect. With no installation disc to use, I need to get a CD image elsewhere. Can anyone help?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

If you do a search on your favorite Bit Torrent site, you can probably find some images. Add "SheepShaver" to the search query and you'll get some purpose-made torrents.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Eternal Inquirer wrote:Hmm... using the "New World PPC ROM" got OS9 to launch successfully, but I can't seem to find the system installer.
Apparently you did not read my post:
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:You set this up as if the "OS9.img" from rundundant robot is a system install CD image, which it is not. It is a virtual hard drive image with a (limited) MacOS 9 installed on it.
"OS9.img" is not a system install disk image and thus does not contain a system installer. "OS9.img" contains a installed system, ready for use. You can copy that system to a larger volume, if needed.

Do what ClockWise suggests and you will find system install disk images.
24bit
Forum All-Star

"Apple System Software Recovery 3"

Post by 24bit »

Hi,

if you are searching torrents or perhaps mediafire you might download the "Apple System Software Recovery 3"
This one will decompress into a nice US OS9 universal installation disk.

Best wishes!
Eternal Inquirer
Space Cadet

Apparently you did not read my post:
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
You set this up as if the "OS9.img" from rundundant robot is a system install CD image, which it is not. It is a virtual hard drive image with a (limited) MacOS 9 installed on it.
Ronald,

Pardon my ignorance... I did read your post; I'm just new to emulation and didn't understand at first.

I'm torrenting an OS9 install CD image now that I believe will work.

Thanks to everyone for your help!
theShadow
Space Cadet

Post by theShadow »

the redudnant robot OS9 disk is what I used, but would it be worth trying to find a better one? atm sheepshaver seems to crash a lot.
Eternal Inquirer
Space Cadet

"OS9.img" is not a system install disk image and thus does not contain a system installer. "OS9.img" contains a installed system, ready for use. You can copy that system to a larger volume, if needed.
That might be why it isn't working well.
If you do a search on your favorite Bit Torrent site, you can probably find some images. Add "SheepShaver" to the search query and you'll get some purpose-made torrents.
Clockwise was right - I found a system install disk image that, so far, works perfectly. Google "mac os 9 torrent" (without the quotes) and it'll be the first result.[/img][/list][/list]
g0blinish
Student Driver

Re: OS 9 crash

Post by g0blinish »

Got the same message. I mounted MacStartup.img and OS9 started.
Is nessesary to remove MacStartup.img ?
And one important thing - SheepSaver closes only using TaskManager. It sucks.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

- SheepShaver will try to boot from the first bootable disk image in the volumes list in the GUI.
- If the boot volume is an image with pre-installed MacOS system, that image file should NOT be marked read only in its properties as would be required with a MacOS install CD image.
- What is that MacStartup.img and where did you get it?
- Did you actually install MacOS or did you copy a pre-installed MacOS to a larger volume?
- Exactly which disk images did you add to the volumes list and in which order?
g0blinish
Student Driver

Post by g0blinish »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:- SheepShaver will try to boot from the first bootable disk image in the volumes list in the GUI.
- If the boot volume is an image with pre-installed MacOS system, that image file should NOT be marked read only in its properties as would be required with a MacOS install CD image.
- What is that MacStartup.img and where did you get it?
- Did you actually install MacOS or did you copy a pre-installed MacOS to a larger volume?
- Exactly which disk images did you add to the volumes list and in which order?
I took images from:
http://www.redundantrobot.com/sheepshaver-tutorial/

but...I found some .zip with OS8 image and install one. Same issue with Iconographer(i started thread)