document xx could not be opened, because the ... PROBLEM

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

ulgen
Space Cadet

document xx could not be opened, because the ... PROBLEM

Post by ulgen »

Hİ,

I am trying to work on a Mac program called Mac diff 4.2.6 to evaluate some of my XRD results.
I have a Laptop with Wİn 7 x64. I use sheepshaver to have a virtual MAC.

http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_setup I use the guide to use sheepshaver and

use this link

http://www.redundantrobot.com/sheepshaver-tutorial/

to get ,mac os 9 and new world rom wihic is neccessary. After spending few days I am able to open my mac but when I try to do something I get this message below. and I am not able to use the porgram.

I copy the program under virtual disk
I try to use it from its own place on C: of my LAptop.

the message is :

the document could not be opened, because the APPLİCATİON PROGRAM THAT CREATED İT COULD NOT BE FOUND

Could any body help me?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Let's keep our issues to one topic at a time. We'll use this topic.

Now...

What type of program are you trying to run? Is it a stuffit archive that you downloaded somewhere?
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

Before you begin, make sure you have installed "Stuffit Expander" properly installed on your emulated Mac.

There are 3 things that i can think of:

1) The program you want to use (Mac Diff 4.2.6) is not properly installed yet and resides on your hard drive as a compressed archive file (either as a .SIT, .SITX, .HQX, or perhaps as a .BIN), and thus needs to be decompressed onto the emulated Macintosh hard disk image.

2) Your program is decompressed, but for some odd reason, it resides on the PC side of your hard drive and not on the emulated Macintosh hard disk image (where it actually needs to go). Delete it from the PC side and try again.

Please note that Mac programs will NOT RUN (will not work) if they reside on a PC volume. Make sure all the contents you want to work with such as the original compressed files reside on the Mac side. Also make sure that the destination for all decompressed Mac files will be a directory/folder on the Mac side instead of somewhere on your "C:" drive (nor any other PC drive location).

3) You need to run the decompression program (Stuffit Expander) from within Sheepshaver and go to (File>Open...) and then select the compressed file to begin decompressing your program/archive for preparation of installing it.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

If you are still using the OS9 image found on the internet, you should make a clean install of the desired OS.
The aquired image may be sufficient for first boot, but will cause problems sooner or later.
Best wishes!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

kikkoman wrote:Please note that Mac programs will NOT RUN (will not work) if they reside on a PC volume.
Not only that, but when a 'classic' mac application was saved decompressed on a PC volume, it will have lost its specific Mac properties (like its resource fork) and will have become useless even when copied to the emulated machine. You need to copy the archive to a volume in the emulated machine and then, as "kikkoman" wrote, unpack/decompress the archive them within the Mac environment.
ccipp
Space Cadet

Re: document xx could not be opened, because the ... PROBL

Post by ccipp »

Hio everyone. I am trying to use the same software as the initiator of this topic & of course I am having the same issue.
After all the explanations for this issue I haven't really grasp the solution for this matter.
So let's begin with the ... ining
I have the software package and downloaded in the ..\Virtual Desktop\Desktop Folder (it is a Windows emulation). Trying to run it is useless since I get the same message as in the first post.
The package is arhived using the *.hqx format
Tried to install alladin which is in the same format.
All of you point to the problem of files being on the PC side and they should be tranfered on the mac side. The obvious question is "where is the mac side phisicaly".
Is it a folder or ... what else? Thank you in advance!
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: document xx could not be opened, because the ... PROBL

Post by Cat_7 »

To get files onto the SheepShaver hard disk you can use the My Computer feature.
If you have the GUI running, check the option "Enable "My Computer" icon on your Mac desktop (external file system)" and enter a drive letter at Mount drives.

Restart SheepShaver.

Through the My Computer icon on your Mac desktop you can then navigate to the folder on your real hard disk in which you downloaded your files.

Do not try to run files from the My Computer "disk". Always move them to the Mac hard disk. And do not open the files in Windows.

A full installation of Mac OS 9 should be able to extract hqx files through the Aladdin expander software that is included. If you can't double-click the hqx file, first open Aladdin expander and select the file you want to expand from within the program.

Best,
Cat_7