setting linux memory access

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

gmillerc
Space Cadet

setting linux memory access

Post by gmillerc »

I need help setting up sheepshaver for linux. I Have Lubuntu 13.04 installed on a bootable usb flash drive. When I following the instructions for setting the memory access, I don't know where to add the line. Wherever I tried it, sheepshaver still dont work after clicking the execute tab.
UbuntuXP
Tinkerer

Re: setting linux memory access

Post by UbuntuXP »

Are you using the GUI or editing the prefs file by hand?
"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things."

Doug Gwyn
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: setting linux memory access

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I assume you need to know where to add the line "vm.mmap_min_addr = 0" ?
It should go into the file /etc/sysctl.conf. As root, edit that file with the text editor available in Lubuntu.
Open Xterm and use "gksu leafpad /etc/sysctl.conf" to edit the file. Add the required entry at the bottom of the file and save it.

Even after that addition, you might still need to run SheepShaver as root. You should check whether Lubuntu uses Apparmour. If so, you would need to disable that too if you want to run SheepShaver under a normal user account (as far as I know).

Are you running a 32 bit version of Lubuntu? The SheepShaver download from our forum (sheepshaver_44_sdl) is built for 64 bit environments.

Best,
Cat_7