"Cannot map ROM: Success" -- error

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

archtop
Inquisitive Elf

"Cannot map ROM: Success" -- error

Post by archtop »

I have the most recent OS X build of SheepShaver successfully installed on my Mac Mini with OS X 10.6.8. SheepShaver is running OS 9.0.4. I am now trying to rin the Windows version of SheepShaver on muy Mac, using Wine (actually, CodeWeavers, which is a commercial form of Wine for OS X that works really well).

In SheepShaver for Windows (the 06-05-2013 build), I am using the identical OS 9 volume and New World ROM that work just fine in Sheepshaver OS X. I first installed gtk_-2.10.13 without any difficulty in Wine, then set up and tried to run SheepShaver. However, it stops with the following error:

"Cannot map ROM: Success."

I know the path to the ROM is correct in SheepShaver_prefs. What am I doing wrong?

(BTW, the reason I am doing this is that I'm trying to get Word 98 working in SheepShaver, and I read in the forum that although it doesn't work in the OSX version, it sometimes does in the Windows version).
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: "Cannot map ROM: Success" -- error

Post by adespoton »

I use WineSkin instead of CodeWeaver's, but the gist is the same. Do you have the ROM in a path accessible to WINE? Also, which ROM/boot disk are you using? Is it the same combo you're using on OS X?

I'd check screen depth (host and guest) and delete the nvram file.
archtop
Inquisitive Elf

Post by archtop »

The ROM and volume (MacOS9) are the same ones I've been using in OS X. I have the complete SheepShaver for Windows folder and everything in it placed as follows:

C:\Program Files\SheepShaver\*.*

The ROM, the MacOS9, SheepShaver, SheepShaver GUI, and everything else are in the SheepShaver folder. The SheepShaver GUI finds MacOS9 just fine, so because the ROM is in the same folder it should see that too, I'm assuming.

I can't find the nvram file anywhere, hidden or nonhidden. I'm guessing that I started without one and SheepShaver hasn't gotten to the point of creating one yet? -- but that's just a guess.

It's encouraging to hear that SheepShaver works under Wine. I just have a minor misconfiguration, it seems. Can you tell me if your setup is any different than mine, and where your nvram file is?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

The nvram ram file should be called sheepshaver_nvram.dat and should be created in the same folder the SheepShaver program is in. As should sheepshaver_prefs. Both files should be visible in the folder.

Did you use the GUI to set up the name/path of the rom file? from your message I gather you assume it will work, but didn't actually set the name/path. Not setting the path only works when your rom file is called "Mac OS Rom" exactly.

Can you paste the contents of your sheepshaver_prefs here?

If you aim is to run Office 98 you should try to run it in the lowest Mac OS version that supports it. That would be Mac OS 7.5.3, which also runs in SheepShaver, but requires the old world rom.

First get your stuff running, then we will look into office 98.

Best,
Cat_7
archtop
Inquisitive Elf

Post by archtop »

Sorry, I forgot to note that yes, I do have the path to the ROM file set up in the GUI. I see SheepShaver_prefs in the folder, but no SheepShaver_nvram.dat file.

Here's the content of my SheepShaver_prefs:

Code: Select all

disk C:\Program Files\SheepShaver\MacOS9
cdrom E:\
extfs 
screen win/1024/768
windowmodes 3
screenmodes 63
seriala COM1
serialb COM2
rom C:\Program Files\SheepShaver\Mac OS Rom
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 536870912
frameskip 8
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
ignoreillegal false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
ignoresegv true
idlewait true
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
enableextfs true
debugextfs false
extdrives CDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
pollmedia true
etherpermanentaddress true
ethermulticastmode 0
routerenabled false
ftp_port_list 21
portfile0 C:\B2TEMP0.OUT
portfile1 C:\B2TEMP1.OUT
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

You can compare your prefs to mine:

Code: Select all

disk MacOS81_500_Office2001
rom Mac OS ROM_oldworld
screen win/1024/768
extfs 
windowmodes 3
screenmodes 63
seriala fileA
serialb fileB
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 67108864
frameskip 0
gfxaccel true
nocdrom true
nonet true
nosound true
nogui true
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
ignoreillegal true
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
idlewait true
enableextfs false
debugextfs false
extdrives
pollmedia false
etherpermanentaddress true
ethermulticastmode 0
routerenabled false
ftp_port_list 21
portfile0 C:\B2TEMP0.OUT
portfile1 C:\B2TEMP1.OUT
I tried to run SheepShaver with your prefs, and couldn't. I haven't found the offending setting yet. So please try to set all of the settings in accordance to mine and try again. There is no need to use paths in the file names when all files are in the SheepShaver folder.

Please note I'm using the oldworld rom (search redundant robot for the file).

I can confirm office 98 and 2001 to run with CrossOver, albeit I have them installed in Mac OS 7.5 and 8.1 respectively. I seems they are more stable in CrossOver than in Windows ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
Last edited by Cat_7 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
archtop
Inquisitive Elf

Post by archtop »

I tried your prefs (suitably modified) and got the same result ("Cannot map ROM: Success."). In fact no matter what I try, that's what I get in CrossOver.

So I decided to try Wineskin instead, because it's working for you. I discovered that Wineskin really is awesome, and runs a number of other Windows programs I have laying around. However, it does not run the SheepShaver GUI.

But Wineskin does run the SheepShaver program itself, though, as I discovered when I got a totally black screen with a little floppy disk icon in the middle. Of course, a full-screen SheepShaver that can't load anything doesn't help that much, but it's a start.

So whatever I have set up wrong in Wineskin has only to do with the SheepShaver GUI. (By the way, I did install gtk+-2.10.13 in the Wineskin wrapper.) What are some of the details of your Wineskin setup?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Unfortunately, I don't have one set up at the moment; I moved everything over to the native sheepshaver about a year or so ago when the Mac builds were stable and using JIT. My mind is niggling at me that there was some distinct setting that was different, but I can't recall what it was. I never tried the GUI, as I just package my stuff up in a single clickable runtime and edit the settings by hand when needed (with an alias to somewhere more accessible for easy editing).
archtop
Inquisitive Elf

Post by archtop »

Is there any way to launch the Windows version of SheepShaver directly (rather than via the SheepShaverGUI) and have it automatically look up a manually-edited prefs file? If so, I think my problems would be solved.
archtop
Inquisitive Elf

Post by archtop »

Success!!!

What I finally did was to have Wineskin open up SheepShaver directly, rather than the GUI; I also had to set it to use the Wineskin X11 rather than OS X Xquartz.

So now I'll take a day or so break and then get 7.5.5 working, then try installing Word 98.
archtop
Inquisitive Elf

Post by archtop »

Success again -- I've set up System 7.5.5 and installed Word 98, which seems to be working fine so far. Thanks to all for your help!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Let me know if you get the option key mapping correctly -- I'd like to know what you do :)
TypeCreator
Space Cadet

Post by TypeCreator »

It would be absolutely great if someone could post a detailed instruction how to get SheepShaver for Windows to work under Wine/WineSkin/WineBottler or similar, to be able to run under OSX. This would be the final chapter in being able to run Office 98 once again.

I think that would fit well in the "How to" section, which is just extremely helpful.

Many thanks in advance!
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I think it might be more promising to run Office98 for Windows in CrossOver or a similar appliance in OSX.
Personally I prefer virtual machines for delicate apps, like old versions of Acrobat or Office.
A VM running W98 or higher should be good enough for Office 98 for Windows.

MS Office98 for Mac does work with SS on a GNU/Linux host. (for reasons obscure to me)
Excel likes to crash at first start, but its seems to be running after that.
Cat_7´s SheepShaver_GCC44_SDL_Unix_29-07-2013 is playing fine fullscreen and windowed.
Mac OS was 8.6 with the OldWorldROM, btw.