[Windows 8 - Mac OS Z2-9.0.4] Problem with Quicktime

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

FluffyButt
Space Cadet

[Windows 8 - Mac OS Z2-9.0.4] Problem with Quicktime

Post by FluffyButt »

After trying to fix this for a few months, I give up! I've installed Mac OS 9.0.4 and all seemed to work perfectly until I tried to open an application.

Every time I try to open a "Quicktime dependent" .app, I get this error:

I surmised it was because there was no automatically bundled version of Quicktime, so I looked into the install image and...

Yeah.
So I tried downloading a newer version (6.0.3) , but in my attempt to open it, I get... yep, you guessed it:

I'm at a loss here. Any ideas? I'd really appreciate an alternative install disk image as well, if that works.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: [Windows 8 - Mac OS Z2-9.0.4] Problem with Quicktime

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

If you did a full default MacOS 9.0.4 installation, QuickTime files belonging to QuickTime version 4.1 are installed as part of that installation in Extensions and Control Panel folders in the System Folder and in the Applications folder. If those files are not there, something was wrong with the MacOS installation.

Note that QuickTime 4.1.2 is the latest version that is fully compatible with SheepShaver.

I do not understand what the message about Stuffit Expander has to do with QuickTime. It is a message that one would expect with a problem to use Stuffit Expander for expanding for instance a Stuffit archive. The message seems to indicate an incomplete MacOS installation.

You do not show all of the MacOS desktop in the image and thus also not all of the mounted volumes. I only see windows and folders from the install disk. Did you actually install the system and did you start up from the installed system? Or are you booting from the installer volume?
FluffyButt
Space Cadet

Post by FluffyButt »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:If you did a full default MacOS 9.0.4 installation, QuickTime files belonging to QuickTime version 4.1 are installed as part of that installation in Extensions and Control Panel folders in the System Folder and in the Applications folder. If those files are not there, something was wrong with the MacOS installation.
Quicktime wasn't installed for some reason, thus the files aren't there.
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Note that QuickTime 4.1.2 is the latest version that is fully compatible with SheepShaver.
Oh, I didn't know that.
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: I do not understand what the message about Stuffit Expander has to do with QuickTime. It is a message that one would expect with a problem to use Stuffit Expander for expanding for instance a Stuffit archive. The message seems to indicate an incomplete MacOS installation.
The new version of Quicktime was in a .sit, making it impossible to open as it seems I need Quicktime to run Stuffit in the first place? I'm not sure if that's what the actual problem is.
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: You do not show all of the MacOS desktop in the image and thus also not all of the mounted volumes. I only see windows and folders from the install disk. Did you actually install the system and did you start up from the installed system? Or are you booting from the installer volume?
Sorry about that lack of information. I installed the system, and I started up from the installation on a Sheepshaver hardfile.
I can't use a CD to install because I am using Windows 8, which supposedly can't use the Sheepshaver CD driver.
Specifically, I installed it like this:
1. Load PPC System 8.5 Disk Tools .iso, Mac OS 9 installation .iso, and my Sheepshaver hardfile into Sheepshaver.
2. Boot from PPC System 8.5 Disk Tools .iso
3. Start the installation process from the installation "disk"
4. Boot from hardfile after installation completes

I took a minute to make sure Quicktime was even in there, and this is what I saw:

It's definitely 4.0, and in there, and it's only 1 Kilobyte...

I thought maybe it wasn't selected for some reason, so I decided to select & install EVERYTHING in the custom install/removal prompt. After rebooting, Quicktime still wasn't getting installed!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

It seems you are still booting from the floppy disk image? it shows as the first disk on your Mac OS desktop. If so, the system folder from that floppy disk image is loaded, and not the system folder you installed on the disk image (with all your goodies like quicktime ;-)
Please use the preferences editor to make sure the disk image on which you installed Mac OS 9 is the topmost entry in the volumes tab and start SheepShaver. You can also remove the floppy disk image from the volumes list as you don't need to boot from it again.

Additionally, you would have had to boot from the floppy disk image, as you have an .iso of the Mac OS install CD. Sheepshaver can boot from that as well.

Best,
Cat_7
Last edited by Cat_7 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added additional
FluffyButt
Space Cadet

Post by FluffyButt »

I think something is really wrong. Whenever I install OS 9.0.4, Sheepshaver closes without warning. While installing just enough files to be able to boot the OS, I don't think it's completing the installation. That could the why Quicktime isn't getting installed?

Additionally, I found a Quicktime Folder with nothing in it after A FRESH INSTALL!
Cat_7 wrote:Hi,
It seems you are still booting from the floppy disk image?
I am not. However, it is necessary to boot the Disk Tools .iso in order to install Mac OS 9, as I clearly outlined in my previous post.
Cat_7 wrote: Additionally, you would have had to boot from the floppy disk image, as you have an .iso of the Mac OS install CD. Sheepshaver can boot from that as well.
That is false. Booting directly from the installation .iso causes this:
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

As outlined in the setup guide, the .iso image must be presented to SheepShaver as read-only. (That way the installer will be fooled into thinking it is on the original read-only CD media.)

From the setup guide:
For those without a physical Mac OS installation CD

You can easily mount either a .TOAST or a .ISO image of a Mac OS installation disk, sparing you the need of burning a copy. First, however, you must right click on the file in Windows and mark it as “read only.” Next, run “SheepShaverGUI.exe” and in the “volumes” tab click “Add…” and then browse to and select your disk image. The ISO image should be at the top of the list of volumes. In this instance, you should select “boot from any.”
FluffyButt
Space Cadet

Post by FluffyButt »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:As outlined in the setup guide, the .iso image must be presented to SheepShaver as read-only. (That way the installer will be fooled into thinking it is on the original read-only CD media.)

From the setup guide:
For those without a physical Mac OS installation CD

You can easily mount either a .TOAST or a .ISO image of a Mac OS installation disk, sparing you the need of burning a copy. First, however, you must right click on the file in Windows and mark it as “read only.” Next, run “SheepShaverGUI.exe” and in the “volumes” tab click “Add…” and then browse to and select your disk image. The ISO image should be at the top of the list of volumes. In this instance, you should select “boot from any.”
Ahhh, yes! I thought I was "too good for the guide" and blew past that part!

Installing OS9 while booted from the install .iso itself solved the issue, and boy do I feel like an idiot. Thank you for your help guys.