Error getting Apps to open in OS 9 (Resolved)

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

zeebold
Space Cadet

Error getting Apps to open in OS 9 (Resolved)

Post by zeebold »

I had an issue with how to get apps to open after successfully installing SheepShaver and OS 9.

I was running SheepShaver in an virtualization of Snow Leopard Server 10.6.8, which sits on top of Mavericks.

Whenever I moved my old apps (let's say a 2 MB app) through the Shared folders to Snow Leopard, the apps changed to 0 MB. [I suspect that is a difference between the two OS X's recognition of file size.] I "solved" that by compressing the apps first, which kept the file sizes intact all the way into Os 9 but then the classic apps wouldn't be recognized as apps and wouldn't run.

The solution was to:

(1) shut down OS 9,
(2) and then shut down Snow Leopard Server;
(3) pop in a very old CD with all of my old apps backed up (lucky i had one -- not sure if making one would have worked too)
(4) open Snow Leopard Server and made sure the CD is attached in Server.
(5) open Sheep Shaver emulator with OS 9 (the CD should pop right up on the OS 9 desktop)
(6) don't run the apps from CD. First, copy the apps to the main SheepShaver/OS 9 hard drive (where your system folder is)
(7) open the apps from the OS 9 hard drive

That worked for me... classic apps run fine now in OS 9 and PPC apps can run in Rosetta on Snow Leopard Server

Time to start converting over all of my old files...

NOTE/TIP: if anyone finds this trying to do the same ... you have to buy (Amazon is a good place--found an old copy for $35) the RETAIL version of Snow Leopard Server (must be server and must be RETAIL) and install that through something like Parallels or VM Ware (I used Parallels). [Some people can get the disk images of Snow Leopard Server to work, but after 2 weeks of combing user forums, I never could] Once you have your base environment with everything working ... BACK UP THAT Parallels or VM Ware file ASAP. You can always go back to it, even if things go corrupt. You also might consider taking a "snapshot" of the virtual environment in Parallels.
mabam
Master Emulator

Re: Error getting Apps to open in OS 9 (Resolved)

Post by mabam »

Just one note:
There's a cheaper and easier way to purchase Snow Leopard Server. See http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... f=3&t=8066.