SheepShaver 2.4 on Mavericks 10.9.1 doesn't start... Quit...

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

vverdun
Space Cadet

SheepShaver 2.4 on Mavericks 10.9.1 doesn't start... Quit...

Post by vverdun »

It doesn't launch...
It quits immediately and message on the console...

Console

01/02/2014 22:07:14,653 SheepShaver[35897]: CPSGetCurrentProcess(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
01/02/2014 22:10:24,781 SheepShaver[35950]: CPSSetForegroundOperationState(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.

An idea ?

(would like to emulate a Classic Macintosh which died last week... :(

Thank you

I am French.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: SheepShaver 2.4 on Mavericks 10.9.1 doesn't start... Qui

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The messages in Console are expected warnings they do not indicate a problem.

Did you follow the setup guide? Possibly you did not add a rom file or you did not rename the rom file as indicated in the setup guide.

http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... os_x_setup
dougy
Space Cadet

Post by dougy »

I had the same problem, on the first launch. All the subsequent launches have worked flawlessly.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Which version of SheepShaver are you guys running? Not the point number (which doesn't really change very often) but the date stamp....

I haven't had any problems with recent builds.
xManson
Space Cadet

Post by xManson »

Hello! I have the same problem. On first run - icon of SW appears for a second on a dock and disappears.
i tryed to run app from cosole - the same. No Error message which i can show for you. Or maybe you know how to run app with debug logs?

I downloaded from https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/20615/sheepshaver
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Download from the link in the first message in this thread:

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =20&t=7360

And then follow the instructions in the installation guide on this site. It's essential to follow the instructions in absolutely every detail.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I recall the issue of SS not launching all the way from 10.6 to 10.8 with a vintage Hackintosh.
(SS icon jumping in the dock, but doing nothing else.)
Luckily Ronald points to a link just below the one to the setup guide.

If you did everything right and SS won´t launch in spite of that, http://www.emaculation.com/sheepshaver/ ... rPrefs.zip should get things rolling.

At least it did the trick for me. :)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

xManson wrote:Hello! I have the same problem. On first run - icon of SW appears for a second on a dock and disappears.
Do what emendelson writes, download the latest build and follow the setup guide to the letter. A webloc file that links to the manual is included in the SheepShaver download.

In the setup guide you will read: "SheepShaver will not run without a compatible ROM file. If SheepShaver does not find a compatible ROM file, it will immediately quit on launch."
richierat
Space Cadet

Post by richierat »

hi
have successfully followed emaculation wiki to set up SS on Lion, SnowLeopard machines/drives, but am having trouble getting the last step on my MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz, Intel Core i5, 16 GB DDR3, OS 10.9.1.

i have used an original OS .5 install disc, as i did successfully as above, without success and then created a diskimage (read only, not compressed; locked in info window in finder) with disk utility and added it to volumes in system prefs. nothing. just a blinking ? with disk image. (the original install disk gets ejected). all the other parameters in prefs are the same as in successes.

thoughts?

thanks for any help.

and thanks for the wiki and sheepshaver stuff. it feels soooooooooo good, in 2014, at age 68, to be able to use my all time favorite word processor (of the 30 or so i have used - am a writer) - word perfect 1.0.5. and, the quirky saintedit. but i would really like to be able to use SS and old software on my main laptop, this one with mavericks.

rmr
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The relevant information is a bit scattered across the setup guide.

1. OSX 10.8 and later (so also Mavericks) prevents mounting of CDs in SheepShaver. Instead, images of CDs need to be used.

2. The image can be made with Disk Utility, but make sure you choose either "read/write" (.dmg) or "DVD/CD Master" (.cdr) for the format. If you made the image indeed read-only, it did not work because of that. It can be made to appear to be read-only later, by locking the file in the Finder.
jrethorst
Tinkerer

Post by jrethorst »

I don't have Mavericks myself, but understand that even with a proper ROM file and correct installation, SheepShaver tends to quit when first run. But click Reopen in the error dialog, and SheepShaver loads fine. Just the same as has always happened on PPC machines (at least the version of October 2009, which is apparently the only version that runs nicely on PPC machines).
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

hmm... maybe there's no prefs file the first time it runs, so it creates one and quits? Because I've never seen this issue on any hardware and I've been using SheepShaver since my G3 days. But I always create a prefs file before attempting my first run, as I usually have a fairly custom setup.
jrethorst
Tinkerer

Post by jrethorst »

Prefs file is there. Setup has been used elsewhere extensively; zipped and uploaded, and downloaded to a new machine. Applescript installer writes a prefs file. Works without problems in 10.6; no info about 10.7; quits when first run in 10.8 and 10.9. After it quits, an error dialog says so and has a Reopen button. Click that and it runs.
jrethorst
Tinkerer

Post by jrethorst »

richierat wrote:it feels soooooooooo good, in 2014, at age 68, to be able to use my all time favorite word processor (of the 30 or so i have used - am a writer) - word perfect 1.0.5. and, the quirky saintedit. but i would really like to be able to use SS and old software on my main laptop, this one with mavericks.
I'm very fond of WP 1.0.5, having found it an oasis in a desert after somehow managing to write a thesis using MS Word 3.0. Do you know about the WordPerfect Mac group at Yahoo? We mostly talk about v. 3.5e but would be happy to talk about v. 1 or 2.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

jrethorst wrote:I don't have Mavericks myself, but understand that even with a proper ROM file and correct installation, SheepShaver tends to quit when first run.
On my OSX 10.9.2 machine and with no .sheepshaver_prefs file available in the Home folder, a new SheepShaver installation runs fine the first time, provided a proper ROM file named "Mac OS ROM" is available in the same folder with the SheepShaver application. Of course, as in OSX 10.8 and with default security settings, at first launch one needs to bypass OSX Gatekeeper by using Open in the Finder contextual menu instead of double-clicking the icon. My SheepShaver builds are not code-signed.
But click Reopen in the error dialog, and SheepShaver loads fine. Just the same as has always happened on PPC machines (at least the version of October 2009, which is apparently the only version that runs nicely on PPC machines).
That was a different issue. On PPC that build will present each time at launch an “unexpectedly quit” message that can simply be dismissed and ignored because SheepShaver did not quit.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: