No cursor in fullscreen mode - Mavericks

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

almeath
Mac Mechanic

No cursor in fullscreen mode - Mavericks

Post by almeath »

I am using the latest build of Sheepshaver (February 2014) in Mavericks 10.9.1

I have installs of MacOS 7.5.5, 8.1 and 9.0.4. Full screen mode works properly in 8.1 and 9.0.4, but in 7.5.5 I see no mouse cursor. The advice to press control or click in the window does not work ; nothing will bring the cursor back except switching back to windowed mode.

Interestingly, I am also running Basilisk II which accesses the same 7.5.5 hard drive if I want to run in 68k mode, and full screen works properly there, so I do not think this is caused by any settings in my 7.5.5 installation.

Any suggestions? :?:
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Re: No cursor in fullscreen mode - Mavericks

Post by almeath »

Looks like I solved own problem, but I am not sure why it works.

If I set the video type to fullscreen in the SheepShaverPrefs, it works properly and I can see the cursor, even when subsequently switching back and forth between window and fullscreen modes using control-return.

The other way around, starting in window mode and then switching using control-return, does not work - but only in 7.5.5.

I guess there is really no need to know why so long as it works now. :wink:
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Trying to find an answer to your question, I found the same solution. I do not know why SheepShaver behaves differently in this respect with System 7.5.5 compared with MacOS9. Maybe the different rom file (old world vs new world) is a factor.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Some thoughts on the issue.

In window mode SheepShaver uses the hardware cursor when possible and the software cursor when needed. In full-screen mode it uses the software cursor only. The hardware cursor is in fact the host's cursor. It is used in window mode whenever possible because it moves more smoothly than the software cursor. In full-screen mode the hardware cursor cannot be used.

Apparently, SheepShaver does not easily switch from hardware cursor to software cursor when switching from window mode to full-screen mode.

Now, when does SheepShaver temporarily switch from hardware cursor to software cursor? That is when a special cursor image is needed that is not one of the the standard images. One such cursor image is shown in OS9 when pressing the control key. The pointer changes to a pointer with miniature menu, indicating that clicking with the control key down will invoke the contextual menu. And that is how in OS9 SheepShaver can be forced to use the software cursor after switching from window mode to full-screen mode. That trick does not work in 7.5.5 because it does not yet have the contextual menu.