No sound in MacOS 8.6

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

almeath
Mac Mechanic

No sound in MacOS 8.6

Post by almeath »

I do not have any sound in my install of MacOS 8.6 , with the volume slider in the control strip permanently stuck on the lowest setting. In the Monitors and Sounds control panel under 'Sound Output Quality' is displays as "0.0000 khz".

I have the default settings for audo in SheepShaverPrefers , i.e. Disable sound output is not ticked, and I have not changed the default output or mixer paths.

My install of 9.0.4 has sound - is there something I need to copy across from the sound manager/quicktime components?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: No sound in MacOS 8.6

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The answer can be found in the setup manual:

To enable sound, select "built-in" for the output device in "Sound" control panel. In Mac OS 8.5/8.6 the Sound control panel is installed in the "Apple Extras" folder. No need to move the control panel, you can use it to select the built-in output device while it is in the "Apple Extras" folder.

(This specific setting is not available in the "Monitors and Sound" control panel.)
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Re: No sound in MacOS 8.6

Post by almeath »

Ahh, it was the different location of the sound control panel in 8.6 which threw me off.