No sound in Dark Castle

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

ClarkKent
Student Driver

No sound in Dark Castle

Post by ClarkKent »

Dark Castle runs on latest SheepShaver on System 9.0.4 without any problems - only one: no sound. Is there a cure for that?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: No sound in Dark Castle

Post by adespoton »

Thwap. Eeep!

I guess that's not really a cure ;)

Try Dark Castle under Mini vMac... it should work fine there. Plus, if you want, there's a colour version available for OS X. The IIGS version works well in most emulators too :)

Does sound work for you in Beyond Dark Castle? If it does, then you probably won't get it working in DC. If it doesn't, you may just need to disable the sound extension or use a different ROM.

But really... Dark Castle is a game from 1986. You'll want to play it in Basilisk II, not SheepShaver, or, as I suggested, in Mini vMac. It's a 68k game, and SheepShaver is for PowerPC software.
ClarkKent
Student Driver

Post by ClarkKent »

Interesting. I can play it without any problems, both DC and BDC. But without sound. I know that it's a 68k game but as it works I do not understand why sound is not working in SS? 68k seems to be emulated right but why the sound problem? I really do not want to use different emulators.

I know Return of Dark Castle for MacOS X. It's only nostalgic to run the original ones! :)
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

SS runs many 68k coded games perfectly.

Apple changed the sound chips more than once over time. That said, some System6 games would not even play sound with the later 68030/40 Macs.
I would like to second the advice using MiniVMac for DarkCastle.
The original DC disk images will even boot MiniVMac. Only app and ROM are needed. :)
rt36ge
Space Cadet

Post by rt36ge »

:smile: Dear All,
I just got sheepshaver up and going on windows and I want to play Dark Castle Color and I was able to un-stuff it fine however when I click on the DC Launcher Icon I see the game start screen for a second and then the game clicks out. Also I have no sound on sheepshaver and I get the window32/cd=drivers error missing. Any help in being able to get the game running would a real help and I am die hard Dark Castle fan and this is the only version of Dark Castle that I have not played. Cheers,
rt36ge
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Run Dark Castle on Mini vMac on a Mac Plus ROM with System 7.5.3.
rt36ge
Space Cadet

Post by rt36ge »

Thank you for the tip. I tried to get mini vmac 7.5.5 up and running and I was only able to get 7.0.3 up and going. If some has been able to get Color Dark castle up and going on windows and are willing to share that would be appreciated and thank you for replying. Cheers,
rt36ge
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Why not use a IIgs emulator with the color DC version?

As for System 7.5.5, you need to use System 7.5.3; the Mac OS 7.5.5 upgrade isn't guaranteed to work. By 7.0.3, did you mean 7.1.3 (rare) or 7.0.1 or 7.5.3?
rt36ge
Space Cadet

Post by rt36ge »

Yes, I was able to get 7.0.1 up and running. As far as Color Dark Castle goes I meant the Delta Dao version which has the bonus level on it. I will try to upgrade with to 7.0.3. Thank you for the response,
rt36ge
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

If you have the host for it (DOSBox or WINDOS 95 or lower) Fusion PC may be worth a shot.
Fusion seems to play some picky games with sound and color.
Sadly Fusion never was ported to a more modern platform.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Thankfully, Fusion works great under Boxer (DOSBox wrapper).
Jon God
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Jon God »

Color Dark Castle should run fine in both Basilisk II or SheepShaver, at least in my experience.

If you are talking about this release, that is: http://deltatao.com/darkcastle/
Better example: http://darkcastle.wikia.com/wiki/Color_Dark_Castle

-JG