OSS Sound Errors in OS9

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Shrekster
Space Cadet

OSS Sound Errors in OS9

Post by Shrekster »

So I've looked through many topics here searching for an answer, but never quite got a definitive one. My question is if I can run my Ambrosia games through sheep shaver. That in itself is not a valid question I understand. So the problem is every time that I try to run their games these error messages pop up:
I have read up and it seems to be the fact that OSS doesn't work/can't be installed?
I am not quite sure but if there is anyway to solve these errors it would be great!

I am running it off of OSX10.8.3
and I am emulating a version of OS9 I believe OS9.1 but it could be 9.3

Thank you very much,
Shrek
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: OSS Sound Errors in OS9

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Maelstom starts fine here in SheepShaver on OSX 10.8.5 with MacOS 9.0.4, including sound. It should also run in BasiliskII.

Please give more detailed information about your setup.
- How did you install MacOS9 and which version is it? It cannot be 9.1 (incompatible with SheepShaver) or 9.3 (no such version exists).
- How and where did you install Maelstrom? Are you sure you included all its files?

Edit: And did you enable sound as described in our SheepShaver setup manual?
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
Shrekster
Space Cadet

Post by Shrekster »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:- How did you install MacOS9 and which version is it?
By doing a quick "about this computer" in sheep shaver it says it is 9.0, but I don't know if that would be exact enough to say 9.0.4 or how detailed of a version it is.
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:- How and where did you install Maelstrom? Are you sure you included all its files?
I used the installer from the .bin in this link. I just ran it, I assume that installed all of the files. I installed it on a separate .DMG I created with disk utility and added to the Volumes of sheep shaver.
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:-And did you enable sound as described in our SheepShaver setup manual?
I do not know exactly what you are talking about here because from this manual all I saw relating to audio is this quote:
The SS Setup Manual wrote:The Audio Settings can be ignored.
Just to be sure, my Sound Settings look like this:

Thank you once again!
EDIT:bbCode formatting.
Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

Post by Silent Flamer »

Try setting the Sound output device to "Built-in" in the Sound control panel, as the SheepShaver guide in this site says. Might work.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Shrekster wrote:
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:- How did you install MacOS9 and which version is it?
By doing a quick "about this computer" in sheep shaver it says it is 9.0, but I don't know if that would be exact enough to say 9.0.4 or how detailed of a version it is.
The version is 9.0.
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:-And did you enable sound as described in our SheepShaver setup manual?
I do not know exactly what you are talking about here because from this manual all I saw relating to audio is this quote:
The SS Setup Manual wrote:The Audio Settings can be ignored.
Apparently you stopped reading the manual at some point. There is a chapter "Running Mac OS in SheepShaver" that includes instructions about enabling sound, about how to use the shared folder, and more.
Shrekster
Space Cadet

Post by Shrekster »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Apparently you stopped reading the manual at some point. There is a chapter "Running Mac OS in SheepShaver" that includes instructions about enabling sound, about how to use the shared folder, and more.
This is semi-accurate, I was actually using a few guides I had found, and simply went to bed as soon as I got it running, it seems I missed this chapter, I will try to get it working now.
Shrekster
Space Cadet

Post by Shrekster »

Great it worked!
Thank you for being patient with a amateur emulator, and having such a good community.
This old OS brings back such good memories!