SheepShaver on MacPro OS 10.9 and Parallels Access on iPad

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

platypus444
Tinkerer

SheepShaver on MacPro OS 10.9 and Parallels Access on iPad

Post by platypus444 »

Hi, I thought I would try Parallels Access on my iPad to open Apps (located on my new MacPro) on my iPad screen. The new MacPro runs 10.9 and SheepShaver was previously working fine, although I had the SheepShaver folder in my home folder rather than in the Applications Folder where it should no doubt be located.

It seems that only apps which are located in the Applications Folder on the MacPro can be added to the Parallels Access screen on the iPad. So I moved my SheepShaver folder into the Applications folder on the Mac and now I can't launch SheepShaver on the MacPro. I guess I upset the paths for sheep shaver to find its files. I downloaded the SheepShaverPref application.

My SheepShaver shared folder is on the Desktop titled SharedDisk2Gig.dmg with the path:

Users/admin/Desktop/SS Shared ƒ

and MacOS9.04 presently has the same path.

What do I need to do to fix the problem now that my SheepShaver folder was dragged to the Applications folder?
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: SheepShaver on MacPro OS 10.9 and Parallels Access on iP

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi

SheepShaver has a built-in preferences editor under the SheepShaver menu.
When you move the application all paths have to be changed. So:
-remove the old disk entries and add them again from their current location
-set the path to the rom: browse to the rom file and select it.
-set the path to the shared folder.
-when in use, set the path to the keycodes file

It seems you set the path to the shared folder to a disk image (your .dmg on the desktop). You should add disk images under Volumes. And designate a real OSX folder to be used as shared folder. Then browse to that folder to set the shared folder option.

Best,
Cat_7
platypus444
Tinkerer

Post by platypus444 »

Hi Cat_7,

If I remove the old disk entries and add them again, won't I lose any data on the MacOS9 disk and on the Unix disk?

I'm not quite sure what you mean about the path to the key codes file.

Where do I find "Volumes"?

Regards,

David
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Check our guide for screen shots of the preferences editor. http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... heepshaver
Look at step 2. It also explains how to open the preferences editor.

The first thing you should do is rename your rom file to "ROM" or "Mac OS ROM" (if it does not already have any of these names). And make sure it is in the same folder as the SheepShaver application.

Start SheepShaver.

You will be able to open the built-in preferences editor even when SheepShaver doesn't fully start.

You won't loose any data as long as you do not actually delete files from your OSX hard disk, and you cannot do that from the preferences editor ;-) The preferences only serve to tell SheepShaver where to look for certain items.

Volumes is under the setup tab in the preferences editor. This will be the only tab you need to make changes on.
-choose remove for all volumes, then add them again, including the .dmg you use to exchange files with OSX. Make sure the disk you normally start Mac OS from is at the top of the list of volumes.
-choose browse at Rom file and browse to your rom file
-choose browse at Unix Disk and browse to your shared folder (an actual folder in OSx, not a .dmg)

After you changed these items, you will need to force quit SheepShaver and start it again to use the new preferences.

The "-when in use, set the path to the keycodes file" was conditional. If you don't use a keycodes file to map OSX keyboard to Mac OS keyboard, you don't have to set this option.

Good luck,
Cat_7
platypus444
Tinkerer

Post by platypus444 »

Hi Cat_7,

When I go to add my SS Shared ƒ, I navigate to it but there does not seem to be any way of selecting it and it therefore doesn't appear under the Volumes like the MacOS9.04 disk does.

What am I doing wrong?

David
platypus444
Tinkerer

Post by platypus444 »

Hi Cat_7,

Problem solved! I've got it sorted. Sorry for the trouble!

Thanks,

David