Creating large volumes for SheepShaver?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Mansen
Student Driver

Creating large volumes for SheepShaver?

Post by Mansen »

Hi folks.

I'm having some trouble creating and initializing a large volume to store all of my old OS9 games on - Like say twenty gigabytes or so.

I'm using the GUI to create and add volumes, but it doesn't seem to be able to make something much larger than a gigabyte - If I tell it to make a volume of say... 20480MB it will just create a 0KB file instead. Once I launch SheepShaver it can only offer to make it a ProDos volume, which fails to initialize a few seconds later - No options for Extended or anything. :sad:

What am I doing wrong, and how do I fix it? As far as I can tell from reading about HFS it should easily be able to manage such large volumes.

Windows 8.1
OS 9.04
Sheepshaver(06-05-2013) on top of the version that includes the GUI and drivers.

(The system runs just fine with the System volume and a 1GB volume I've made that fits a few games)
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: Creating large volumes for SheepShaver?

Post by 24bit »

It was often discussed here, that 2GB SS volumes are regarded as a limit for compatibility and some other reasons. Its probably better to use a bunch of 2GB volumes than a 30GB one.
I made a 14GB volume some time ago and even had it on Mediafire. Gone, like many other useful things. :(

I recall a bug creating huge volumes with XP too, never tried with W7 and I don´t own W8.
Would a 6GB image solve your issue?
Its hosted here for Pear: http://www.emaculation.com/pearpc/macosx_6gb.rar

As it is brain dead simple to create images of any size in GNU/Linux or OSX, I may create one for you, if you wish.
Which size have you been thinking of?
Mansen
Student Driver

Post by Mansen »

I see.

Well I suppose I can just copy/paste/rename that 6GB volume of yours ad nauseum as needed. It's much better than a gigabyte when installing and mounting a game that uses more than a gigabyte all included. Thanks! :smile:
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

The 6GB thing has been hosted here for a long time, no idea who donated it.
Be prepared for a long waiting as its inflating.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Who donated it? I believe it was me ;-) And if so, it is partitioned to be used for pearpc 0.3 and upwards. There was a change in how pearpc handled partitions between 0.2 and 0.3 and the official compressed image didn't work.

Reason for max 2 gb image files:
Old macs had a 2gb partition size limit.
Windows XP (non-ntfs installations) didn't support files larger then 2gb.

Best,
Cat_7
Mansen
Student Driver

Post by Mansen »

Regardless of the limits, the 6GB image mounts and runs just fine within my SheepShaver. I've almost filled up one copy of it with games and their disc images for mounting. :mrgreen:
uyjulian
Apple Corer

Post by uyjulian »

If you have a Mac on hand, you can use Disk Utility to make big disk images.
Mansen
Student Driver

Post by Mansen »

Funny you should mention that, but no. - I did end up buying an old G3 iMac though because SheepShaver was a bit too unstable for some of my bigger games (And that's really what I wanted it for). Had one pop up suddenly one of the local eBay style sites in near pristine condition. :smile:
uyjulian
Apple Corer

Post by uyjulian »

Mansen wrote:Funny you should mention that, but no. - I did end up buying an old G3 iMac though because SheepShaver was a bit too unstable for some of my bigger games (And that's really what I wanted it for). Had one pop up suddenly one of the local eBay style sites in near pristine condition. :smile:
Same here!
I found one on craigslist, and upgraded it to 120GB HDD, Airport card, 1GB memory, Mac OS 9.2.2 & Mac OS 10.4 (with XPostFactor)

Sheepshaver can do fine when G4 instructions or video stuff aren't used. I like to use my G3 for the other stuff :-)