Locked Disk when Initializing + Installing Applications

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

autumnmycat
Student Driver

Locked Disk when Initializing + Installing Applications

Post by autumnmycat »

Okay, so I am definitely a newbie to SheepShaver (honestly, it's a wonder that I got it to start up at all), so feel free to make fun of me if I'm asking stupid question. :wink:

Anyway, I just installed OS9 with a ROM and .img file from Redundant Robot, and it was all fine until I tried creating an Extended Volume on start up. I select Mac OS Extended 523.3 MB and hit inititalize and it tells me "Disk initialization failed because disk is locked!" I checked to see if my .img file was locked (it's not), and if any of my volumes were locked either (they're not), so I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong.

Also, I want to install applications like a browser, and I tried mounting IE to my .img in OSX, but when I try to open it in OS9, SheepShaver shuts down immediately.

Thanks for the help!
uyjulian
Apple Corer

Re: Locked Disk when Initializing + Installing Applications

Post by uyjulian »

autumnmycat wrote:Okay, so I am definitely a newbie to SheepShaver (honestly, it's a wonder that I got it to start up at all), so feel free to make fun of me if I'm asking stupid question. :wink:

Anyway, I just installed OS9 with a ROM and .img file from Redundant Robot, and it was all fine until I tried creating an Extended Volume on start up. I select Mac OS Extended 523.3 MB and hit inititalize and it tells me "Disk initialization failed because disk is locked!" I checked to see if my .img file was locked (it's not), and if any of my volumes were locked either (they're not), so I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong.

Also, I want to install applications like a browser, and I tried mounting IE to my .img in OSX, but when I try to open it in OS9, SheepShaver shuts down immediately.

Thanks for the help!
1. Which disk are you trying to do the "extended volume"?
2. IE doesn't work in sheepshaver
autumnmycat
Student Driver

Post by autumnmycat »

julialy wrote:
autumnmycat wrote:Okay, so I am definitely a newbie to SheepShaver (honestly, it's a wonder that I got it to start up at all), so feel free to make fun of me if I'm asking stupid question. :wink:

Thanks for the help!
1. I'm not sure...? It starts up and automatically shows me the prompt, so I don't know how to select a different one.
2. Is there any browser that does work?
uyjulian
Apple Corer

Post by uyjulian »

autumnmycat wrote:
julialy wrote:

Thanks for the help!
1. I'm not sure...? It starts up and automatically shows me the prompt, so I don't know how to select a different one.
2. Is there any browser that does work?
1. Remove all disks using the prefs screen, then put back the disks you are using using the prefs screen.

2. http://www.floodgap.com/software/classilla/
autumnmycat
Student Driver

Post by autumnmycat »

julialy wrote:
1. Remove all disks using the prefs screen, then put back the disks you are using using the prefs screen.

I removed all disks and then put them back, same thing happened. I just have the OS ROM and the start up disk image from Redundant Robot in there. But I think it's weird that it's trying to make an "Extended Volume" with 523.3 MB but the volume I created was 1000 MB.
uyjulian
Apple Corer

Post by uyjulian »

autumnmycat wrote:
julialy wrote:

I removed all disks and then put them back, same thing happened. I just have the OS ROM and the start up disk image from Redundant Robot in there. But I think it's weird that it's trying to make an "Extended Volume" with 523.3 MB but the volume I created was 1000 MB.
If your OS rom in the disc selection window? remove it!
autumnmycat
Student Driver

Post by autumnmycat »

julialy wrote:
autumnmycat wrote:
julialy wrote:

If your OS rom in the disc selection window? remove it!
I misspoke, I only have the OS 9 Boot Image and the volume I created selected.
uyjulian
Apple Corer

Post by uyjulian »

autumnmycat wrote:-- snip --
Your OS 9 boot image may be corrupted.
Try redownloading.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

What is your host system? OSX 10….?
Could you manage to boot SS from the image hosted at Redundant?

You can create disk images of any desired size with Disk Utility in OSX.
Choose New Image, Custom, and type in something reasonable like 2GB.
Add the Image to the SS volumes GUI, fire up SS and let MacOS initialize it as Mac HFS.

Off topic:
Best make a fresh install with the language of your choice as soon as possible.
Max1zzz is hosting both 1999 and 2001 Anthology on his server.
A thread/link about it can be found at Macintoshgarden.
autumnmycat
Student Driver

Post by autumnmycat »

julialy wrote:
autumnmycat wrote:-- snip --
Your OS 9 boot image may be corrupted.
Try redownloading.
Redownloaded, same issue.
autumnmycat
Student Driver

Post by autumnmycat »

24bit wrote:What is your host system? OSX 10….?
Could you manage to boot SS from the image hosted at Redundant?

You can create disk images of any desired size with Disk Utility in OSX.
Choose New Image, Custom, and type in something reasonable like 2GB.
Add the Image to the SS volumes GUI, fire up SS and let MacOS initialize it as Mac HFS.

Off topic:
Best make a fresh install with the language of your choice as soon as possible.
Max1zzz is hosting both 1999 and 2001 Anthology on his server.
A thread/link about it can be found at Macintoshgarden.
I can boot, but I can't "initialize the disk." Everything seems to work fine, but that first prompt comes up every time I retart SS.

I tried making a disk image in Disk Utility, but it's still disregarding my disk images and trying to initialize through the 532.3 mb image.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean about the stuff that's "off topic."
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

It's a simple issue: the clue is "I created it in Disk Utility"

Pro tip: Disk Utility automounts disk images when you create them. Unmount the disk in OS X, and it will then be writeable in SheepShaver.

By the way, I highly recommend using a sparse image bundle, as Time Machine then only has to re-sync the bits that changed instead of the entire image.
autumnmycat
Student Driver

Post by autumnmycat »

adespoton wrote:It's a simple issue: the clue is "I created it in Disk Utility"

Pro tip: Disk Utility automounts disk images when you create them. Unmount the disk in OS X, and it will then be writeable in SheepShaver.

By the way, I highly recommend using a sparse image bundle, as Time Machine then only has to re-sync the bits that changed instead of the entire image.
Unmounting it doesn't change it though, it's still giving me the same error.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Using Disk Utility, create a sparse bundle disk image of 2GB. Unmount it.

Next, make sure that that disk image is added in the preferences. After that, boot your system, and it should come up pre-formatted.
autumnmycat
Student Driver

Post by autumnmycat »

adespoton wrote:Using Disk Utility, create a sparse bundle disk image of 2GB. Unmount it.

Next, make sure that that disk image is added in the preferences. After that, boot your system, and it should come up pre-formatted.
Okay, well, I'm not sure what's happening because I only had to initialize the 2GB one once and it worked, and I have access to my disk when I boot up. But it still asks me to initialize the 253.3 mb image on each start up. Does it even matter since I can still access the rest of the system? Should I try selecting "eject" when the prompt comes up again?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

The previous one was likely created as a locked disk image -- remove it from prefs, and throw the image file in the trash; you shouldn't need it if you've got the 2GB one. Just make sure SheepShaver isn't running when you trash it.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Please send us a copy of your prefs file.

Open a command window. Type open .sheepshaver_prefs (don't forget the dot in front of the filename). Copy the contents and paste them in your reply.

Do you have a CD in your drive when you start SheepShaver? That might explain the 5xxMb drive showing up.

Best,
Cat_7
autumnmycat
Student Driver

Post by autumnmycat »

Cat_7 wrote:Please send us a copy of your prefs file.

Open a command window. Type open .sheepshaver_prefs (don't forget the dot in front of the filename). Copy the contents and paste them in your reply.

Do you have a CD in your drive when you start SheepShaver? That might explain the 5xxMb drive showing up.

Best,
Cat_7
Sorry for being such a newbie, but do you mean opening Terminal and entering that in? Because typing .sheepshaver_prefs gives me "-bash: .sheepshaver_prefs: command not found" and typing in "~/.sheepshaver_prefs" gives me "-bash: /Users/emmabierbaum/.sheepshaver_prefs: Permission denied"

I'm not sure what I'm doing, sorry :(
uyjulian
Apple Corer

Post by uyjulian »

autumnmycat wrote:
Cat_7 wrote:Please send us a copy of your prefs file.

Best,
Cat_7
Sorry for being such a newbie, but do you mean opening Terminal and entering that in? Because typing .sheepshaver_prefs gives me "-bash: .sheepshaver_prefs: command not found" and typing in "~/.sheepshaver_prefs" gives me "-bash: /Users/emmabierbaum/.sheepshaver_prefs: Permission denied"

I'm not sure what I'm doing, sorry :(
Type "open ~/.sheepshaver_prefs" in terminal then copy the contents here
autumnmycat
Student Driver

Post by autumnmycat »

disk OS9 (1).img
disk os9tho.sparsebundle
disk /Users/emmabierbaum/Desktop/Anastasia.cdr
cdrom /dev/disk1
extfs /Users/emmabierbaum/Desktop/Shared
screen dga/1024/600
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem
serialb /dev/null/
rom Mac OS Rom
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 268435456
frameskip 0
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui true
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
ignoreillegal false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
ether slirp
keycodes true
keycodefile keycodes
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 1
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv true
idlewait true
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Please start SheepShaver. Open the Preferences. Go to the Volumes tab and remove the entry
with Anastasia.cdr

Shut SheepShaver down and start again.

If you still have problems then open the prefs file again:
In Terminal type: "open ~/.sheepshaver_prefs"
In the prefs file, change the line "cdrom /dev/disk1" to
cdrom /dev/cdrom

Save the preferences file and start SheepShaver.

Best,
Cat_7
autumnmycat
Student Driver

Post by autumnmycat »

Cat_7 wrote:Hi,

Please start SheepShaver. Open the Preferences. Go to the Volumes tab and remove the entry
with Anastasia.cdr

Shut SheepShaver down and start again.

If you still have problems then open the prefs file again:
In Terminal type: "open ~/.sheepshaver_prefs"
In the prefs file, change the line "cdrom /dev/disk1" to
cdrom /dev/cdrom

Save the preferences file and start SheepShaver.

Best,
Cat_7
Haha, well I'm using the .cdr because it's a game I bought (whole reason I'm emulating). Right now, everything seems to be working, so thanks for all of your guys' help!

-Emma
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

OK,

If you have SheepShaver running, you can add the cdr back under volumes.
If the same error occurs, it might be your cdr can't be read by SheepShaver. Some cd images contain more than one type of data. Can you read the CD in OSX?

Please try first. If it doesn't work, there might be a workaround.

Best,
Cat_7