Suggestions for the OS X AppleTalk Guide

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

NucAr
Tinkerer

Suggestions for the OS X AppleTalk Guide

Post by NucAr »

I have some suggestions for the OS X AppleTalk guide:

1. I've been using "classic networking" in Basilisk II, and since pretty much all I want to do in Basilisk II networking-wise is use old AppleTalk programs, this is sufficient. A note could be added to the guide indicating that you can set up the MacTCP control panel in pretty much the same way as the TCP/IP control panel shown in the guide.

2. For the netmask, name server, and search domains in the TCP/IP or MacTCP control panels, whatever is in the "Network" System Preferences pane in the host OS X can be used. In the "Network" pane in OS X, the "Advanced..." pane shows my DNS server's (name server's) address as the router's address. That's just easier to remember than whatever DNS servers your router/ISP actually uses, so I use that. Whatever's in "Search domains" there can also be entered into "Search domains" in the TCP/IP or MacTCP control panels. I use the netmask given there in OS X, not 255.255.0.0. For most people at home, this is probably 255.255.255.0. Basically, people should be instructed to look at their OS X "Network" System Preferences pane for values to be entered into the TCP/IP or MacTCP control panels.

3. In the example scripts, the line that gives the emulator's TAP interface an IP address and netmask is not necessary. The emulator loads the ethernet interface specified in its preferences. This interface exists only to be bridged with another interface and thus doesn't need its own IP address.

4. I've had problems using "sleep 5". I've had different errors occur as if it's just not quite enough time, even when not needing to enter my password. Since others might too, I recommend using "sleep 10". If 10 works, then they can try lowering it if they really want to.

5. I like using .sheepvm files. If you want to use a sheepvm file, the "paths to hard disk images, roms and other files," as it says in the guide, do not have to be absolute if they're inside the sheepvm file. The line of the script that boots SheepShaver would look like:

Code: Select all

sudo /*path to SheepShaver folder*/SheepShaver.app/Contents/MacOS/SheepShaver /*path to folder with sheepvm*/MySheepVM.sheepvm & sleep 10
That is, the sheepvm file is passed as a command-line argument for the SheepShaver executable.

6. Since Mavericks, OS X seems to automatically add a bridge0 interface on some machines. I think this is the Thunderbolt Bridge interface, which can be seen in the "Network" System Preferences pane. The guide should warn people about this and tell them to use bridge1 instead if they indeed have a bridge0 interface. You can use bridge1 even if you don't have a bridge0.
Last edited by NucAr on Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Suggestions for the OS X AppleTalk Guide

Post by Cat_7 »

Thanks for taking the effort to look into this!
I adjusted the guide in the appropriate places, but still have to add the info on classic networking.

Best,
Cat_7
NucAr
Tinkerer

Re: Suggestions for the OS X AppleTalk Guide

Post by NucAr »

What I mean by point 3 is that you can remove that entire line from the scripts, not only the IP address and netmask. You don't need ifconfig to "start the tap device," as it says. The emulator does that for you.

Edit: added point 6 to the list.