Wireless AppleTalk Networking with SheepShaver & Basilisk II

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

NucAr
Tinkerer

Wireless AppleTalk Networking with SheepShaver & Basilisk II

Post by NucAr »

Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Guide moved to the wiki
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Wireless AppleTalk Networking with SheepShaver & Basilis

Post by adespoton »

Great!

Now we need to get a group together to play Bolo....
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Thanks for sorting this out ;-)
In the early days of researching how to get BII and SS to do appletalk I looked into tunnelblick and openvpn. But I deemed it too much hassle to set up, specially after I found a solution for wired connections.
If you can come up with a small guide on how to set this up, I will add a paragraph to the appletalk guide.

Best,
Cat_7
NucAr
Tinkerer

Post by NucAr »

It's not going to be a very "small" guide, that's for sure! I'll want to describe certain things in detail so that newcomers to Linux VMs and networking will not have too much trouble. It'll be something you could link to in the AppleTalk guide. I'll have it up in the next week or so.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

You can also set this up on OS X client or server instead of Linux; Server provides a nice GUI, but all the terminal software's there too. Considering how cheap the server upgrade is, it might be worthwhile showing how to set up UDP tunnelling that way.

However, it would be REALLY easy to just make a VirtualBox VM of a stripped down Linux OpenVPN config that people could download, run and forget. Config instructions for routers that support OVPN would also be helpful (allows for Internet access, and provides an external VPN for those with only one desktop/laptop).
NucAr
Tinkerer

Post by NucAr »

If you mean OS X Server from the App Store, the VPN in OS X Server is the routed-type (layer 3) and doesn't make use of ethernet bridging.

A pre-made Linux virtual machine, or virtual appliance, might be a good idea (someone else could make it based on my instructions and provide a download). And I don't know anything about routers that include OpenVPN.
NucAr
Tinkerer

Post by NucAr »

I've posted my OpenVPN setup guide here:

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... f=3&t=8336

Also, I'd like to make a lot of changes to my original post, but I don't have an edit button. Is there way I can do this?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

We have limited editing time for regular users to 36 hours. This is done to prevent spammers to come back later and add a web link to an earlier inconspicuous post. (A sneaky method to get a web-site high in search results, while Emaculation.com ranks high in popular search engines.)

Only administrators and moderators can edit posts after 36 hours. I do not know if is is possible to allow individual users to do that. I am not sure if there is an option somewhere in the administrator control panel.

You can also post the corrected text here with the request to replace the original post. I can do that for you.
NucAr
Tinkerer

Post by NucAr »

Thanks, Ronald. Yes, it would be nice if I could be granted the ability to edit the first post above as well as my OpenVPN guide indefinitely. I'd like to be able to maintain and update the OpenVPN guide over time for the community.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:  
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Cat_7 wrote:If you can come up with a small guide on how to set this up, I will add a paragraph to the appletalk guide.
but:
NucAr wrote:It's not going to be a very "small" guide, that's for sure!
Maybe add in the AppleTalk guide a small paragraph with mainly a link to this topic instead?
NucAr
Tinkerer

Post by NucAr »

It turns out that you can run a networked emulator and the OpenVPN server Linux VM on the same computer simultaneously. You simply need to connect the host OS to the OpenVPN server as a client, and then bridge the two TAP interfaces as any other OpenVPN client would. I had tried this before, but I must've done something wrong. I've edited the guide accordingly.

I run the Linux VM on a Mac mini. I was about to explore using two ethernet connections, the second perhaps with a Thunderbolt to ethernet adapter. Then, I could use one ethernet interface for the Linux VM, and the other for the emulator, so that the two bridges would not interfere with each other. But I ended up not trying this because I decided to try the above OpenVPN method one more time, and it worked.