Just can't get past boot on linux

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

brook2
Space Cadet

Just can't get past boot on linux

Post by brook2 »

Hello,

I built sheepshaver following the guide for Unix on linux x86_64 and I have tried with oldworld and newworld roms, and a couple different images and CD's for mac os 8.6 and 9 but I can't get it to boot.

When I first tried I got notes about the CPU features and then SIGSEGV pointing to 0x40b142dc mxter r17. If I turn off the JIT compiler I can get a black window then it exits quickly without printing any errors, and then if I change ROM to the old world rom I get the "Mac OS 8.6 - Welcome to Mac OS" booting screen before it again quits without any messages.

Do you have any suggestions as to what the problem might be and how to fix it, or how I could collect more information about what's going wrong so that a solution might be found?

Thanks a lot
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: Just can't get past boot on linux

Post by 24bit »

Can you try a distro known working maybe to sort out your issue?
Zorin (64bit) does work with Cat_7´s SS build, there will be some others too.
brook2
Space Cadet

Post by brook2 »

Thanks for that idea, I tried it inside virtualbox but I couldn't get it to work out

I tried hard with the new ubuntu but I just can't get it to build, so I tried with fedora and managed to build it without trouble but the vm.mmap_min_addr=0 thing doesn't seem to be working because it always "Cannot map Low Memory Globals: Permission Denied" even after I use the sysctl to set it.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Some Linux distributions enable AppArmor or SELinux by default. Disable it, otherwise you won't get SheepShaver to run. And try to run as root.

For Fedora, check this: http://linuxpoison.blogspot.nl/2011/01/ ... ra-14.html

Best,
Cat_7
brook2
Space Cadet

Post by brook2 »

Thanks for that, I disabled SELinux and that allowed SheepShaver to run!

So using the command:

Code: Select all

./SheepShaver --rom ~/mac_oldworld_rom4b.rom --cdrom ~/MacOS86.iso --jit false
the operating system started to boot showing the Mac OS 8.6 splash screen before exiting with a segmentation fault.

I tried running it again in gdb to get more info about the segfault and it says:

Code: Select all

powerpc_cpu::execute_loadstore<op_template_nop<unsigned int>, input_gpr_exception<bit_field<11, 15>, 0>, gpr_operand<bit_field<16, 20> >, false, 4, false, false> (this=0x783c1a10, opcode=<optimized out>)
    at ../kpx_cpu/src/cpu/ppc/ppc-execute.cpp:585
585                   memory_helper<SZ, RX>::store(ea, operand_RS::get(this, opcode))
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I can't help you further there. I experience the same error on Zorin71_64 bit

Best,
Cat_7
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Could it be a cpu related issue?

Zorin is working natively here, SS performance is not too bad. CPU is AthlonII-640.
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.42-37-generic x86_64 Ubuntu