No Sound, Possible fix question

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

TNdj
Space Cadet

No Sound, Possible fix question

Post by TNdj »

I am no Mac tinkerer, I just want to play old games on this new iMac.
I have just installed SheepShaver v2.4 for Mac OS9 on my iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7. Works fine except for--
There is no sound. I have tried the Sound control panel as suggested by others to no avail. There is one suggestion that I don't understand. From Marstella.net there is this item discussing Xubuntu 12.10 and SheepShaver: http://marstella.net/?p=219

"Since OSS sound (/dev/dsp and /dev/mixer) are no longer used by Ubuntu and its variations, a wrapper must be used to get sound. I installed the alsa-oss package, but found that it didn’t provide proper volume control. However, I then found that there is a wrapper already installed, so if you run the command padsp ./SheepShaver (or whatever your path/command is) you should find that you have complete sound support."

What does this mean? How do I issue the cammand? Thx for any help to get sound to work.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: No Sound, Possible fix question

Post by 24bit »

Did you select Built-In in "Output", Sound Control Panel by clicking on it?
That should do the trick.

TNdj
Space Cadet

Post by TNdj »

Yes, as I mentioned, I used the Sound Control Panel with no success. Another odd thing, the Control Strip that allows you to change volume snaps back to all the way down when you adjust it up. Curious. But no sound at all.

Revised: Just to be sure, I ran the Sound Control Panel again and this time, even though Built-in is in the box and hilighted, I selected it as you suggested. (I must not have done this before). It still stayed hilighted but Tah-Dah! I have sound. Thanks for goading me on.
pastone
Space Cadet

Post by pastone »

In Mint 17 or Ubuntu 14.04, the repositories contain a package named osspd. If you install that package, you can get sound in sheepshaver.

Best wishes,
Peter Stone