Problem with multiple image files.

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Dreysman
Space Cadet

Problem with multiple image files.

Post by Dreysman »

I have 2 image files that act as hard drives in SheepShaver running on OS X, and the Unix Root.
But when i choose to use more than 3 images files, it just says it can't find the Unix Root.
The reason i want to use more than 2 image files is because i want to run apps that require cds.
I can use another hard drive image file but not my self made cd clones made in disk utility.
Another problem i have is that i have to go to the OS 9 control panel and choose "built in" under sound every time i launch SheepShaver, basically the settings don't save.
Thanks for your help.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Problem with multiple image files.

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I can not image what could be the problem. It should be possible to add more disk images to the volumes list in SheepShaver preferences.

1. Please paste here the content of your SheepShaver preferences file:
Open Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities) and type at the prompt:

Code: Select all

open .sheepshaver_prefs
followed by a return.
The prefs file will open in your default text editor. Copy the content and paste it here.

2. Which format did you choose for disk images created in Disk Utility from CD's?

3. The issue in OS9 Sound control panel could be caused by a corrupted preferences file. Find the Sound Preferences file in System Folder:Preferences and trash it. Restart SheepShaver and again select "built in" for the output device in Sound control panel.
Dreysman
Space Cadet

Post by Dreysman »

Heres my prefs:

disk MacOS9disk
disk MacOS9
cdrom /dev/disk4
extfs Sheep Shaver Shared
screen win/1024/768
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem
serialb /dev/null
rom Mac OS ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 1073741824
frameskip 0
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
ignoreillegal false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
ether slirp
keycodes false
keycodefile
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv true
idlewait true

They are .cdr files.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The prefs file looks OK.
If MacOS is installed on "MacOS9disk", the volume "MacOS9" can probably be removed.
If you are on OSX 10.7 (Lion) or earlier, the cdrom line should better read
cdrom /dev/poll/cdrom
but when you are on OSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion) or later, it does not matter much because you cannot read CD's in SheepShaver anyway.

Maybe you do not add (or remove) volumes in the volumes list correctly? After changing the list (or after any change in preferences for that matter) SheepShaver must be quit and started again for the change to take effect. So not just restarting the emulated machine, but actually shut down and quit SheepShaver completely.