Trying to open a CD with Sheepshaver running OS X Maverics

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

sandy1973
Space Cadet

Trying to open a CD with Sheepshaver running OS X Maverics

Post by sandy1973 »

I am using a macBookPro running on mavericks, I installed sheepshaver and it is running OS9 but when I insert a cd, it tells me: "This disk is unreadable by this computer. Do you want to initialize the disk?". It is a Read only CD so I can only eject it.

Has anyone been able to read a CD in a similar scenario?

Thanks!
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: Trying to open a CD with Sheepshaver running OS X Maveri

Post by emendelson »

Under Mavericks (and a few earlier versions) SheepShaver cannot access CD disks directly. You can create a disk image of the CD and access that instead. Instructions should be easy to find in the forum, but ask again if you can't find them.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Indeed, OSX 10.8 and later prevent mounting of physical CD-ROMs in SheepShaver. See the setup guide under "Known issues" for the workaround: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... own_issues

(You apparently did not install MacOS9 from CD, otherwise you would have encountered this issue earlier. The issue and workaround are also mentioned in the manual under "Introduction".)
UbuntuXP
Tinkerer

Post by UbuntuXP »

Have you tried pointing the disc to /dev/cdrom? That may be the only way SheepShaver running in 10.8 and later can access CDs and DVDs.
"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things."

Doug Gwyn
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

That will not work. Any such or similar attempts in OSX 10.8 or later result in MacOS in the emulator offering to initialize the disk, which of course fails, or eject the disk.