unlocking OS 9 disc after installation

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

etkins
Inquisitive Elf

unlocking OS 9 disc after installation

Post by etkins »

Sheepshaver in OSX 10.9, I did the installation from the CD disc image. Went fine, but now the disc image in the emulated desktop is locked. How do I unlock it? I wish to add a font, and it's telling me I can't because the disc is locked.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: unlocking OS 9 disc after installation

Post by adespoton »

Just like you can't unlock a CD in real life, you shouldn't unlock the CD's image, or you can corrupt its data. Instead, you should have your hard drive image unlocked; THIS is where you'd install a font, and this image should never have been locked in the first place (or else you wouldn't be able to install anything to it).

If you're trying to run your OS 9 off the install CD, you're in for a ton of problems. It's only meant to be used to install onto a drive, or in this case, a drive image.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

etkins wrote:Sheepshaver in OSX 10.9, I did the installation from the CD disc image.
What kind of image file did you use and how did you do the installation?

- If you did an actual installation from an MacOS Install CD image, you should have removed the CD image from the volumes list after completion of the installation (see setup manual). At the next launch, SheepShaver can thus start up from the installed system. The image on which you installed the system is not locked, if it were, you would not have been able to install the system.

- If you used a disk image of a disk with pre-installed system rather than the image of an install CD, you should not have locked that image file.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:  
etkins
Inquisitive Elf

Post by etkins »

I have an original OS 9.0.2 CD, but can't use that in OSX according to the guide, it said I had to use a disc image. I used another Mac to make a .dmg using Disk Utility, per the instructions.
I then did the actual installation from that, as you say. But I missed that step to remove the CD image from the volumes list, thank you for pointing that out.
I will do that now, thank you for your astute assistance.