Sheepshaver is freezing on launch

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Machster28
Student Driver

Sheepshaver is freezing on launch

Post by Machster28 »

On Mac OSX 10.6.8. Have 3 folders on desktop using SS (just upgraded to v.2014). All of sudden none of these will open any more, even with the 1012 SS version that was just replaced. The SS window appears, used memory shoots up to 180% and it freezes, required force quit. In essence nothing about SS has changed since my last launch.

Here are my performed trouble shooting actions:
1. repaired permissions
2. check preferences with separate SS app
3. made sure "ignore illegal memory access" is checked.

Below is my console output. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

7/19/14 12:23:50 PM /Users/Dragonfly/Desktop/SheepShaver OS8.6/SheepShaver.app/Contents/MacOS/SheepShaver[1370] CPSGetCurrentProcess(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
7/19/14 12:23:50 PM /Users/Dragonfly/Desktop/SheepShaver OS8.6/SheepShaver.app/Contents/MacOS/SheepShaver[1370] CPSSetForegroundOperationState(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
7/19/14 12:23:50 PM kernel SheepShaver (map: 0xffffff801a4ab1f0) triggered DYLD shared region unnest for map: 0xffffff801a4ab1f0, region 0x7fff8a200000->0x7fff8a400000. While not abnormal for debuggers, this increases system memory footprint until the target exits.
7/19/14 12:27:13 PM /Users/Dragonfly/Desktop/SheepShaver OS8.6/SheepShaver.app/Contents/MacOS/SheepShaver[1414] CPSGetCurrentProcess(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
7/19/14 12:27:13 PM /Users/Dragonfly/Desktop/SheepShaver OS8.6/SheepShaver.app/Contents/MacOS/SheepShaver[1414] CPSSetForegroundOperationState(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
7/19/14 12:27:13 PM kernel SheepShaver (map: 0xffffff801780d5d0) triggered DYLD shared region unnest for map: 0xffffff801780d5d0, region 0x7fff8a200000->0x7fff8a400000. While not abnormal for debuggers, this increases system memory footprint until the target exits.
7/19/14 12:28:38 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[429] ([0x0-0x91091].SheepShaver[1414]) Exited: Terminated
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Sheepshaver is freezing on launch

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Exactly what do you mean with "3 folders on desktop using SheepShaver"? A setup with three virtual machines, sharing one single copy of SheepShaver.app? Or a setup with three copies of SheepShaver.app, sharing the single ~/.sheepshaver_prefs file?
Machster28
Student Driver

Post by Machster28 »

The latter. Each folder (OS7, OS8 and OS9) has its own rom, dsk, and SS app. They have been running fine for years, but none will open now despite no changes to the folders or the OS.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The issue affects all three setups, so the cause must be with the only two files that are shared between them (~/.sheepshaver_prefs or ~/.sheepshaver_nvram) or, if you use the same shared folder for all three, with the shared folder or its content.

Two suggestions to start with (start each with SheepShaver not running):

1. If they share the shared folder, move that folder temporarily to a different location in OSX and see if SheepShaver will now start up normally. (SheepShaver will ignore an invalid path in prefs to the shared folder.)

2. Use the "Zap PRAM" script (included in the SheepShaver download) to delete the ~/.sheepshaver_nvram file and see if that solves the issue.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
Machster28
Student Driver

Post by Machster28 »

Thanks, Ronald.

I had similar thoughts, but unfortunately, both potential solutions are ineffective. I also completely reconfigured the preferences, just in case. But still nothing.

Scott
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Has your machine seen a restart after the first occurrence of this error? Do you have other programs running you did not have running earlier?

Best,
Cat_7
Machster28
Student Driver

Post by Machster28 »

Yes, I have rebooted since. I have now also tried safe mode and running SS from my backup disk clone. All exhibit the same behavior.

Scott
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I suppose the backup was made before the problem started. When running SheepShaver from your backup clone, did you do that after booting from that clone?
Machster28
Student Driver

Post by Machster28 »

I have been racking my brain to figure this out. It finally dawned on me to check the APE settings [here is where the smack-the-head icon goes]. Sure enough SS was no longer on the exclude list. When it was put back on, SS started up immediately. I am not sure how it was ever removed in the first place.

Sorry for the trouble and thanks for helping me troubleshoot this!

Scott
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I have to admit, back around 10.6, I put APE on my exclude list and never looked back. APE re-introduced issues I had thought long-buried with System Extensions in Mac OS 9....
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I didn't think anyone would still use Unsanity's APE. Isn't it time to get rid of it altogether? Aren't there more reliable replacements available for the haxies you use?