Emulated FileMaker Pro too small window size.

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

OldMac
Space Cadet

Emulated FileMaker Pro too small window size.

Post by OldMac »

Hello to all,

First I am glad I found Emaculation.com!

I successfully installed SheepShaver 2.4 emulating Mac Os 8.6 and Filemaker Pro 2.1 to use my 'still going strong' databases. Machine: MacMini/OSX 10.8.4 The Display is a 1920x1080 27" size.

Now the problem I face (due to bad eyesight): whatever resolution I choose the FmPro window size remains the same: width 19cm, hight 13cm. and that too small size really gives me big headaches over and over. :sad:

The reason is in my opinion that Classic had a different approach on screensize related to resolution.
If under Mac Os 8.6 on my G3 minitower I chose on the 15" screen the resolution 1024x768, the size of the FmPro window is related to the use by a resolution of 640x480 smaller.
In plain words: I don't get it how this comes in existence.
But more important:
Is there a workaround/solution to view the FmPro file window to what I am used on my Mac G3 approx. 28cm X 17cm.?
The reason is quiet important to me because new old stock Harddidsks (SCSI), and even used ones for pre 2000 Macs, have become very very rare so if the last of my old Macs 'die' I'm stuck.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Emulated FileMaker Pro too small window size.

Post by adespoton »

The easiest method would be to turn on magnification under OS X. You could also use CloseView under 8.6, or follow this: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... creen_mode to run in full screen under a low resolution.

Or, you could hack the resources with ResEdit/Resourcerer to increase the window size of your application, and then change the font size to something larger. Kaleidoscope may be your friend here.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You might also consider setting SheepShaver to a screen size lower than your monitor resolution and then run full screen. That way, items become bigger, but also a bit more blurry.

Best,
Cat_7
OldMac
Space Cadet

Post by OldMac »

Thanks for al the information on my subject.

Yet I already had tried the use of the OSX magnification but it gives me a 'seasick' feeling after some time.
I hadn't thought about Resediting the resource responsible for the window-size within FM Pro.
@ Adespoton, do you know which FmPro resource I have to edit?
@Cat_7, your suggestion I had tried already before, but you are right about the blurring wich occurs. For me, it makes the solution more worse compared with the trouble.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I would guess you'd have to adjust the WIND and FOND resources; some other tweaking may also be needed. It's been close to 20 years since I've done it myself to make old 640x480 FMPro apps look right in 1024x768.

You may also have issues with the layout of the text resources, but I think it's worth playing around in ResEdit/Resourcerer (Resourcerer will be much easier) if this is a DB you use a lot.

The other solution, of course, is to export the data and use some modern system to visualize/manage it.