SheepShaver randomly hangs on sleep; copy/paste issues

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

davidshermantax
Tinkerer

SheepShaver randomly hangs on sleep; copy/paste issues

Post by davidshermantax »

First, I'd like to re-express my deep appreciation to those who have kept SheepShaver (SS) going all these years. I use it for serious work (as a very productive author of many Canadian tax publications used by legal and accounting professionals), and I still use Word 4.0, HyperCard and ClarisWorks for my day-to-day work. (My main machine is a G4 still running System 9, but I travel a lot and use a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard running SS, and I have a second machine at my desk which is a new iMac running Mavericks on which I can also run SS.)

Having used SheepShaver regularly for over 5 years, I'd like to ask for help with two bugs that affect my day-to-day work when travelling. (I've downloaded the latest version, and these bugs are still there.)

1. If I close the MacBook Pro laptop so that it goes to sleep, there's about a 50-50 chance that SheepShaver will hang when I reopen the laptop. (This problem first appeared when I upgraded the laptop from Leopard to Snow Leopard; I posted about it then, in March 2010, but wasn't able to get it solved.) I've tried all kinds of things like having SS in the foreground or not; and switching to a different user before closing the laptop. It still seems to be random. Can anyone identify what's causing this, whether there's a fix, or if there's a workaround as to a consistent action that would allow me to close the laptop without having to risk needing to restart SS when I reopen it? (Another behaviour that randomly hangs SS is when I put an earphone into the laptop's earphone plug, but I rarely do that and I doubt that's part of the same bug.)
My new iMac displayed the same behaviour when the iMac went to sleep overnight.

2. Copy/paste works inconsistently. A large copy from SS out to OS X almost always works. A copy from OS X only seems to appear on the clipboard in SS when SS has just been started up; after that it doesn't work. I have a functional workaround because I constantly need to past new materials from the Internet (new tax development) into my writings, so I use TextEdit or Word to save the text to a file on the shared folder that I open in Word 4 within SS; but it would be nice to have SS do copy/paste properly.

Is either of these bugs fixable?

If anyone thinks that they can solve these problems with some investment of time, I'd be pleased to pay for your time (though I recognize that in general SS is a community volunteer effort so please don't take offence at this offer).

Thanks.

David M. Sherman, LLB, LLM
Tax Lawyer & Author
Toronto, Canada
Tel. 416-781-4622
ds@davidsherman.ca 
www.davidsherman.ca 
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: SheepShaver randomly hangs on sleep; copy/paste issues

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

No active development of SheepShaver (and BasiliskII) seems to be going on.

With respect to the copy/paste issues between MacOS and OSX, you can find workarounds in this thread: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 701#p46701
davidshermantax
Tinkerer

Re: SheepShaver randomly hangs on sleep; copy/paste issues

Post by davidshermantax »

Thank you!