I need to be able to have 3d acceleration any ideas.

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Doctor
Space Cadet

I need to be able to have 3d acceleration any ideas.

Post by Doctor »

so my tards system broke down and its based off mac os 9. I though ok no problem buy a new computer with windows 7 but non of my programs run. so I download sheepshaver and it couldn't emulate 3d acceleration apparently =(. so Im stuck here in 21 century any ideas.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: I need to be able to have 3d acceleration any ideas.

Post by adespoton »

1) It's "Tardis", and The Doctor refers to "her" as "she" not "it".
2) I highly doubt any part of the system on the Tardis includes Mac OS 9 and requires 3D Accelleration; the Time Lords wouldn't have had access to it until AFTER they'd created Tardis-style transport.
3) 3D Accelleration is a video card issue; just go on craigslist and get a 1990's Mac and you'll be able to replace the damaged parts.
4) We've already got a discussion thread that discusses possible avenues for implementing 3D accelleration in SS and BII. Don't expect it this decade though; we're just starting to look at MMU implementation!
Doctor
Space Cadet

Post by Doctor »

aw dam chose to stop in the wrong decade. welp sorry for the poor job at doctor who reference but that I was just going along with the name I got tho just sadly I really wanted to play my classic mac games and I do have an imac g3 but im just looking atleturnitves + would like to have it a bit more portable because I have had that imac since like 2000 or something like that. but its had a hard life and im afraid it might die soon so instead of buying a replacement I've bin just trying to see if in ppc emulators in general there was solution but when starting a thread it made me chose an emulator so I thought why not the one I have tried so far. so theres no alternative emulators that will do that even.well thanks for your help guse I want be relieving my childhood for another decade. does any one even know what it would take just wondering to get 3d acceleration in sheepshaver or any other emulator because it works fine but what I specifically was looking at sheepshaver for doesn't work sadly.
Adam P
Tinkerer

Post by Adam P »

Though GFX boards have been implemented for other emulated platforms due to frequency of use (such as consoles, PlayStation, N64), I wouldn’t expect projects to go that far in this area (old Macs). There are ways of getting the hardware calls to work with native boards, but there are way too many boards (on both ends) for compatibility to be anything but a nightmare.

It would all have to be software-based, making said “acceleration” pretty slow (much like MMU emulation), but probably much faster than software rendering via PPC CPU emulation. CPU emulation in SS is far from complete anyway.

Usually it would be said to try to find the native version of the game(s) you want to run. There are Mac and Windows versions of Descent 3 (c. 1999), for example (though earlier versions are all software-rendered).

Cherish the last moments with your Mac. (Though it might be holding you back, given the low benchmarks compared in 2014. :P)
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

...and as I said, hardware emulation is unlikely, but OpenGL compatibility has a chance of existing. Check the already existing discussion thread on this topic for more info.