Running SS & OSX apps together

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Chuck
Student Driver

Running SS & OSX apps together

Post by Chuck »

Greetings to all from Yokohama,

It's a pleasant September day here. I hope all reading this are in good health.

I've been using SS for many months now with great satisfaction and gratitude. My post today isn't really about a problem per se, but I thought I'd ask if someone can comment.

I'm using SS on a Intel Mac Mini running 10.6.8. The SS OS is the Japanese version of OS 9.0, installed using an actual CD. I only use SS to run HyperCard, with the application on the SS volume and the HyperCard stacks on the Unix volume. This arrangement works fine, with no problems. I've made a Japanese-English dictionary in the form of a HyperCard stack that I use in my work as a translator (and in fact have used for over twenty-five years). I also use another conventional JE dictionary (LogoVista), MS Office and my Internet browser on the OSX side while keeping the SS window open at the side of my monitor with my HyperCard dictionary running. In short, this is my "work setup." I can then switch among the applications and utilities on the OSX side and the SS side as I need to while working.

The issue is this. Sometimes when more than about fifteen minutes have passed since I accessed the SS side, I do so, but when I do, the "Indigo" beep sounds (although I have the system set the the conventional "simple" beep). Once in a while, particularly when I've not accessed the SS side for a very long while, the SS mouse disappears, although it eventually wakes up if I keep clicking around.

This hasn't caused any problems or damage, but it does concern me somewhat, so I wonder if anyone can shed some light.

Regards,

Charles
Yokohama, JAPAN
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Running SS & OSX apps together

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

It is good to hear that your SheepShaver setup with HyperCard works satisfactorily for you.

I have no explanation for the issues you mention, just a comment and some suggestions to try.

The Sosumi beep sound is available in both the guest MacOS 9 and the host MacOSX. If you have not selected that sound in either one, I would not expect it to be heard. I am not sure why you hear a beep at all when accessing SheepShaver after it has been running unused for longer than about 15 minutes. You could try to disable "Allow Emulated CPU to Idle" in SheepShaver preferences (Miscellaneous tab) and see if that makes any difference.
(Note that changes in SheepShaver preferences will only take effect after SheepShaver is stopped and launched again.)

When the mouse arrow has disappeared in the SheepShaver window, you could try a control-click anywhere on the MacOS 9 desktop to make it reappear.
Chuck
Student Driver

Post by Chuck »

Thanks for the reply.

Just to confirm: the Sosumi beep is indeed installed in both systems, but the Indigo beep for whatever reason doesn't seem to be installed on the OS X side (OS 10.6.8).

Following your suggestion, I tried disabling "Allow Emulated CPU to Idle." The issue seemed to go away but still does occur sometimes, though unless I deceive myself it seems less frequent.

I'll start noting the detailed circumstances from now on to see if I can gather any more clues.
Chuck
Student Driver

Post by Chuck »

I hope everyone reading this is in good health.

I'm using SS with OS 10.6 on the OSX side and the Japanese 9.0 on the SS side.

I said I would post any hints regarding this problem. I've noted that when I'm listening to something on iTunes while using SS, there is a periodic electric scratch. It is as if the speaker wire on an audio system were not connected well. Whether this is related to the beep issue I mentioned earlier I don't know, but for reference sake I'll note it here.

Charles
Yokohama, Japan