MacOSX - Crashing while ignoring illegal memory access

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

ridingstar
Space Cadet

MacOSX - Crashing while ignoring illegal memory access

Post by ridingstar »

Hi! I hope someone can help answer my question.

I'm trying to get SheepShaver all set up and I'm running into a problems. I have Mac OS X 10.7.5. I have a Mac OS 8.1 image & all my preferences are set up according to this tutorial. When I try to open SheepShaver, it shuts down right away or gives me the message about "illegal memory access". In my preferences, I do have "ignore illegal memory accesses" checked. In my Console utility, it doesn't have anything about "SIGSEGV", like the known issues section mentions about crashes upon start up.

I appreciate any & all help. Thanks in advance.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: MacOSX - Crashing while ignoring illegal memory access

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

A direct shutdown would be caused by not finding the rom file. Which rom file do you use? Please name it "Mac OS ROM" (without the quotes, and check with "get info" that it doesn't have an extension to its name). It should go into the same folder as the SheepShaver application.

To run Mac OS 8.1, you need an old world rom file. Check the redundant robot site to find such a rom.

Best,
Cat_7
ridingstar
Space Cadet

Re: MacOSX - Crashing while ignoring illegal memory access

Post by ridingstar »

Thanks so much!! I picked the wrong ROM that I originally downloaded. Using the oldworld one fixed the problem right away.