[Guide] How to run OS 9.1 on sheepshaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

mod50ack
Space Cadet

[Guide] How to run OS 9.1 on sheepshaver

Post by mod50ack »

I have got Mac OS 9.1 running using sheepshaver. It's not without startup glitches (kvetches about quicktime, need to research that)

Here's what you'll need:

1. A working sheepshaver install with OS 9.0-9.0.4
2. The 9.1 update smi and parts
3. Stuffit.
4. ResEdit (the ancient resource fork utility)

Extract the installer as you would usually do. Now, make a second copy of your disk image. I'll wait.

OK, now add that to sheepshaver and restart the emulator. Now you will boot off, let's call it "main disk" and rename the other to "new install." This is completely optional.

Make sure you're booted off main disk. Open the 9.1 installer and install it on new install.

Next, go to main disk -> System Folder. Copy "system" to the desktop. Open it in ResEdit, and go to VERS. Modify the version number to 9.1.0 in the first value, and optionally change the other values; they have no real use other than cosmetic. Now, you can reboot into "new install" and it should boot 9.1. Note, it'll give some errors on startup.

I am still investigating installing 9.2.1; the installer refuses to run under 9.1 when installed using this method.

Screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/TySJ0cd.png
Last edited by mod50ack on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: [Guide] How to run OS 9.1 on sheepshaver

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You did not write what you did with the edited 9.0 or 9.0.4 System file. Did you use it to replace the original 9.1 System file on "new install"?

If that is what you did, it is still in fact 9.0 or 9.0.4 you are running, disguised as 9.1 and with some 9.1 files (like the 9.1 Finder).

(Please reduce the size of the image. It makes your post so wide that I need to scroll horizontally to read it.)
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
mod50ack
Space Cadet

Post by mod50ack »

Yeah, that's what I did. I suppose I got 9.0.4's System file running with the 9.1 other things.

I found it works with OS 9 helper at this point, so I'm installing 9.2.1, or trying, at this point.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

We've actually already got a thread discussing what you've done here.

A few of us got all the way up to 9.2.1 with some components of the OS using this method. The trick was to go to 9.1, then replace bits and pieces until things got somewhat stable, then to do the same thing going from 9.1 to 9.2.1. I've got a SS image that states it's 9.2.1 and uses a 9.1 finder that says it's 9.2.1, and uses a number of extensions and control panels from 9.2.1.

As tehre are some hooks missing, it'll lock up running some software that requires anything greater than 9.0.1, but there's some software that won't run on 9.0.1 that works fine. I can't recall the thread or the software list right now though :( I think this was all around 4-6 years ago that we worked through that.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

adespoton wrote:We've actually already got a thread discussing what you've done here.... I can't recall the thread or the software list right now though :( I think this was all around 4-6 years ago that we worked through that.
It's here. Very interesting too:

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5242

But the conclusion seems to be that nothing is gained by going to the trouble of doing this - or at least no benefit that anyone has been able to remember. And it seems like an awful lot of trouble for no benefit.
kikyoulinux
Tinkerer

Post by kikyoulinux »

I made it... But the PowerPC Enabler version shown on "About this computer" is still 9.0.4 although I have had the version number replaced(by ResEdit).
What is PowerPC Enabler? The system still runs normally with this file removed. And it's Mac OS ROM version rather than PowerPC Enabler version on "About this computer" window of my iBook G3 running OS 9.2.2.
mod50ack
Space Cadet

Post by mod50ack »

No idea, was wondering that myself actually.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

kikyoulinux wrote:What is PowerPC Enabler?
http://support.apple.com/kb/ta28948 (courtesy of Google.com)
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

mod50ack wrote:Make sure you're booted off main disk. Open the 9.1 installer and install it on new install.
Does that work? I thought the downloadable installer wouldn't even run unless you had an MMU (which Sheepshaver doesn't). See for instance http://support.apple.com/kb/TA20330 (and http://support.apple.com/kb/TA20330 ).
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I think it does -- the 9.1 installer is the same version used for 9.0.x; however, the installed OS is 9.1, which will only boot if it has MMX. So you can't boot from it, but you can still extract/install from the image if you've booted some other way.