Can't run any application

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

The_Fronz
Space Cadet

Can't run any application

Post by The_Fronz »

I just downloaded SheepShaver and it run perfectly fine. The only problem I have is that when I try to expand a .sit game file it says "The document "cave_bombers.sit" could not be opened, because the application program that created it could not be found"
Then in smaller text is says "Could not find a translation extension with appropriate translators"
I know I cant open a file from the Unix folder so I dragged the file to the OS9 folder and opened it there, presenting the same problem.
I scoured the forums looking for an answer with no luck. I tried finding and opening the stuffit expander but that gives me this error "The alias "Stuffit Expander (with weird capital N, cent mark)" could not be opened because "MacUltimate" which contains the original item, could not be found."

Any help on this issue is greatly appreciated, I've been at this for several hours now.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Can't run any application

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

It seems you are trying to open a program (stuffit) through an alias of which the original program was located on a disk called MacUltimate?

Do you have internet access in SheepShaver? Then please download the stuffit program from here: http://www.emaculation.com/basilisk/stu ... der_55.bin

Otherwise, use the Unix folder to get the program into SheepShaver.

Best,
Cat_7
The_Fronz
Space Cadet

Post by The_Fronz »

Yes, to be honest I'm not exactly sure what or where MacUltimate is. I named my Hard drive MacOS9HD, which currently has nothing in it. The only things on the desktop are the OS9 file, theMacOS9HD, Unix and the Trash Can. I'm pretty sure I set SheepShaver up correctly to use the internet, how ever I'm not sure what web browser is installed or if there is one. I've heard Internet Explorer comes installed, but after searching the finder nothing comes up.
It seems that most of the applications in OS9 are aliases all asking for MacUltimate before they can be located. I have a feeling that maybe this is from the initial setup of OS9, maybe a bad disk image?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Then it seems your mac os setup is not complete. Normally both netscape and internet explorer are included.
Best to find a Mac OS 9 CD image and install a full clean system, discarding the old installation.
You can search the macintoshgarden site for that. Please make sure you get a CD image with a yellow/orange 9 on it, as they are universal install disks. Mac Os version can be up to 9.0.4.

Best,
Cat_7
The_Fronz
Space Cadet

Post by The_Fronz »

Thanks, that seemed to have fixed my problem only to be presented with another.
I was able to get one game up and running, but when I try to run a different game, after successfully un-stuffing it, I get a prompt saying I dont have enough memory to run it. This is odd because it says 0 K is needed and I have over 250,000 K available. I turned on the RAM in OS9 and that didnt do anything. I also changed the RAM setting in the sheepshaver settings from 256 to 1000. And after checking that a few times sheepshaver seems to continue to revert back to the initial 256. I may need to somehow add more memory to sheepshaver, but I am uncertain how to go about this.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I would take that memory message with a large grain of salt ;-)
Some games simply will not work, because they require hardware not emulated by SheepShaver.
It might also be an issue of creating correct CD images.
Which game is it? Can we download it somewhere? Did you search the forum for earlier experiences with the game?

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

That message is sometimes seen when you try to run an application from the Unix volume. Always first copy applications to the 'harddrive' image in SheepShaver or other volume created in SheepShaver preferences.

Note that files that are moved directly from the Unix volume to the Desktop are still on the Unix volume. (Unlike in OSX, the Desktop in MacOS is not one single location. What you see as the desktop is the combined desktops of all mounted volumes.)
The_Fronz
Space Cadet

Post by The_Fronz »

I believe my problem was solved using a mix of both of the mentioned solutions. I was opening the .sit file from the desktop and not moving it to the hard drive image and then opening it. Doing so seems to have fixed my problems. I think there are a couple add ons my original Disk Image is missing but I'll search for game specific threads to find the answers. Thanks so much guys, this advice has really helped!