Transfer Programs from BasiliskII (OS7) to SheepShaver (OS9)

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

adam77
Space Cadet

Transfer Programs from BasiliskII (OS7) to SheepShaver (OS9)

Post by adam77 »

Hello and I hope all are well.

I have recently stumbled upon my two emulator packages I put together a few years ago. Basilisk II running OS7 and SheepShaver running OS9. Like many the original reason was to bring back find memories of the programs and games played many years ago.

I originally started with BasiliskII and went through the painstaking process of downloading programs, running the emulator, transferring to emulated HD, using stuffit, then installing and hoping for the best that it would run.

I did this mostly with BasiliskII and some with SheepShaver.

Do you think it would be possible (or wise) to copy the installed programs directly to my PC from BasiliskII HD and then run SheepShaver and copy directly from PC to SheepShaver HD? I did try this with the game air hockey and it worked. I would like to try this with other games and programs if possible.

If you know of an alternate way, please let me know. At this point, I would love for someone to let me know where I can find a HD with everything I could ever want to have on it already installed! Wishful thinking....

Please feel free to respond or message me.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Transfer Programs from BasiliskII (OS7) to SheepShaver (

Post by adespoton »

You can definitely transfer the applications via the shared folder, but what I do is have a set of 2GB HFS images with all my software on them, sorted into comparability folders. These images are then set up in the preferences for all my emulators, so I can run the software from any of them as needed.

Remember: there has never been any requirement to use an Applications folder, even under OS X -- you can store Applications anywhere/how you want. Some applications do require system extensions etc. to be installed however, and you'll need to install those on your System HD for things to function correctly.