Force Quitting SheepShaver Deletes Preferences

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

ruthmacdonald
Space Cadet

Force Quitting SheepShaver Deletes Preferences

Post by ruthmacdonald »

(Keep in mind before reading this post that I am completely new to all of this, so I might have just made a really stupid mistake.)

I am trying to run Mac OS 9 on SheepShaver. My Mac is a Mac OS X | Version 10.5.8 | 2.1 GHz PowerPC G5.

After saving my preferences, which I had configured with the help of a YouTube tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqgw4z_r2sE - around the 5:55 mark), SheepShaver froze and I got the spinning rainbow ball.

So, like in that tutorial, I force quit out of SheepShaver, and opened it again, only to see it with the grey screen and the question mark floppy disk. The preferences had also disappeared.

I redid the preferences following the tutorial, which I assume is all correct, and then saved them. However, this all repeated again. SheepShaver froze, I force quit, opened it again, and the preferences were gone.

Can anyone help? I cannot seem to figure out why it is doing this. I have all of the parts needed to run Mac OS 9 (ROM, disk, etc).

Thanks,
Ruth
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Force Quitting SheepShaver Deletes Preferences

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

1. Which SheepShaver build do you use? On a PPC machine you best use the 25 October 2009 build. (See in the "Known issues" sections in both the sticky "SheepShaver builds" topic here and in the setup guide.)

2. How did you force quit SheepShaver? At this stage in setup you should use ctrl-esc (control-escape).

3. When you click "Save" in the preferences (the Virtual Machine Settings window), the settings should be saved. If that does not happen there may be a problem writing to your Home folder. Find your Home folder (the folder with your short user name) in the /Users folder, select it and hit command-I. Look at the info about ownership and permissions. You (the logged-in user) should be the owner of the folder and have both read and write permissions.

(Be aware that the OS9 image that is used in the YouTube tutorial has limitations.)