SheepShaver will only open at 640x480 in Yosemite

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Darko66
Space Cadet

SheepShaver will only open at 640x480 in Yosemite

Post by Darko66 »

Been trying to figure this out for awhile and thought I'd see if anyone here could help. I was using SheepShaver fine under Mavericks, but after updating to Yosemite, the only window size it will open with is 640x480. As soon as I change it from that, it starts to open with the larger window, but then hangs at a blank screen before it even starts to boot. I've tried multiple window size options, trashed the preferences and the sheepshaver_nvram file. I'm using v 2.4 (2014-02-01) and I even tried redownloading and replacing it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: SheepShaver will only open at 640x480 in Yosemite

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The screen resolution setting in Monitors control panel in the installed MacOS may have been reset to 640x480. After choosing a setting in SheepShaver preferences and subsequently quitting and again starting SheepShaver, set the resolution in Monitors control panel accordingly.
Darko66
Space Cadet

Post by Darko66 »

Sorry, I guess I didn't word that as clearly as I'd planned. SheepShaver won't launch any further than the blank window when I change the window size in the SheepShaver preferences to anything besides 640x480. So, for example, it wouldn't even get to the flashing disk icon if an operating system was chosen (I've tried it with and without the OS). It's the weirdest thing.

I'll keep trying things. It's obviously not a common problem, so must be something in my system.

Thanks
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Hm, I see. Indeed, I did not understand your description.

SheepShaver does not run in 64-bit mode in Yosemite, but then it does not run at all so that is a different issue.

Maybe the NVRAM file got corrupted. You can remove it with the "Zap PRAM" script that is included in the SheepShaver download, or you can use Terminal:

Code: Select all

rm .sheepshaver_nvram
MetalSnake
Granny Smith

Post by MetalSnake »

better use this in terminal

Code: Select all

rm ~/.sheepshaver_nvram
Terminal might not start in the home directory (depending on it's settings)