can't install in Windows 7

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

etkins
Inquisitive Elf

can't install in Windows 7

Post by etkins »

VERY frustrated, I've installed Sheepshaver on two Macs and two Windows PC's previously, and am now stumped on a new install.
Windows 7, using the same resources I've used successfully on previous installs, doing it the same way.
I get to the 'Start' point where it should boot up, all I get is the flashing question mark. It then opens the disc tray that has the MAC OS9 disc in it.
I am noticing a stderr.txt file that's being generated in the Sheepshaver folder that I've never seen. Nothing in it.
Prefs file:
disk C:\Users\Michael\Desktop\Sheepshaver\macos9.hfv
cdrom D:\
extfs
screen win/1024/768
windowmodes 3
screenmodes 63
seriala COM1
serialb COM2
rom C:\Users\Michael\Desktop\Sheepshaver\Mac_OS_ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver -62
ramsize 1073741824
frameskip 0
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv false
ignoreillegal false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
ignoresegv false
idlewait true
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
enableextfs true
debugextfs false
extdrives CDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
pollmedia true
etherpermanentaddress true
ethermulticastmode 0
routerenabled false
ftp_port_list 21
portfile0 C:\B2TEMP0.OUT
portfile1 C:\B2TEMP1.OUT
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: can't install in Windows 7

Post by Cat_7 »

So far, so good, then!

The question mark appears when SheepShaver can't find a bootable disk.
Is your Windows 7 32 or 64 bit?
With 64 bit, you can't read CDs. With 32 bit, you need to first put the cdenable.sys file in your windows/system/drivers folder.

Assuming there is already a Mac OS installation on your MacOS9.hfv, have your tried to boot without CD in the drive?

Best,
Cat_7
etkins
Inquisitive Elf

Post by etkins »

Windows 7 32 bit.
I do have the cdenable.sys file in the Windows/System32/Drivers folder
Slightly different from what you suggested, you said 'system' and not system32. The system folder doesn't have a drivers folder in it, just a group of .dll files.

To your second point, maybe I'm doing something wrong, I'm doing this as a fresh install with resources used previously, but not copies of other installations. So the macos9.hfv is there, but I made it fresh per the instructions, doing the 'create' step. So if I understand all this correctly from past work, there's not a Mac OS installation in that MacOS9.hfv until the disc has been run and does the initial installation.

I do have one of the other PC's where I did a successful install, are you thinking I should copy that whole Sheepshaver folder over and bring it in, try to run off of that?

Thank you Cat_7 for your help. Very frustrated right now, I thought I knew how to make this work again.
etkins
Inquisitive Elf

Post by etkins »

I am fixed, but still not sure why.
I ripped out the GTK install and did another fresh one. I also dumped the old and I put a fresh copy of the cdenable file in its proper place.
None of this worked, I could still not get the disc to boot up and do the installation, when clicking 'Start' in the GUI. Any attempt to get the disc to be recognized was unsuccessful, no matter what order I did things in. Put in the disc, the Windows Explorer recognized it in the drive. Then click start, it would bump out the disc in a few seconds. Put the disc back in, it would come back out. All this time the ?-mark-disc icon was flashing.

It was also NOT the case that the macos9.hfv already had an OS 9 installation on it, I tried to start up without the disc.

So I finally copied the macos9.hfv file from another PC where things were working fine, dumping the fresh one I had created at the beginning of the GUI instructions, and that did it!

Just so I can learn from this experience, can you help me to understand why it went like this on this particular occasion? I still feel like it failed and that I came up with a wonky work-around to get things in place.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

You will need to get the install disk image to boot somehow the first time, to set up your disk image. However, if you've already got a working bootable hfv image, just copy that over and you should be fine -- although you've still got issues loading CDs.
etkins
Inquisitive Elf

Post by etkins »

Yes, the issue seems to be loading CD's.
There's nothing otherwise wrong with the CD Drive, it loads, plays, writes, both CD's and DVD's when on the Windows 7 side.
Any thoughts?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

You could try moving cdenable.sys around; I seem to recall I used to have a copy in C:\Windows\System32\ and in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\ as well as in the executable's folder. I seem to recall that was due to similar issues -- but that was ~10 years ago.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Since you now have the driver in the correct place (Windows/System32/drivers) (sorry, should have checked), you should be able to read Mac CDs on your system. Since SheepShaver does try to read the CD, I was wondering exactly which CD you were trying to boot from. It should be a CD with Mac OS 9.0.4 or lower, not 9.1 nor 9.2. Was that the case?

Now SheepShaver runs, did you try to access other Mac CD's? Or access the CD you have by inserting it while SheepShaver runs?

Best,
Cat_7
etkins
Inquisitive Elf

Post by etkins »

CD I was trying was 9.0.2, the same one I used in four previous successful installations.
I would say it WAS trying to read the CD, it did so for a moment, and on its own bumped the CD out.
I hooked up an external CD drive and changed the 'Boot From' letter for the drive, and the same exact thing happened.

So I'm thinking it's something to do with this Windows 7 installation that is preventing it from letting the drive be read or accessed.

I have not tried to access the CD while Sheepshaver is running, but I may try that. At this point since I have everything in place from a previous installation, the .hfv file I copied over, I have everything I need. I don't need to be able to access other Mac CD's in this case. I will try that though.