A little assistance regarding .cue/.bin stuff.

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Kojaka
Space Cadet

A little assistance regarding .cue/.bin stuff.

Post by Kojaka »

Howdy! i am having a hard time trying to find a way to install a game within SheepShaver, ive got the Program and using it in Windows 7 (Sadly my mac drew its last breath after 8 years a few months back) so i've been unable to aquire a new one and without my mac i can't enjoy my old games i had once played as a child on my old IMAC, one of those games being a little somthing called Prime Target / Marathon although Marathon can be played on modern machines windows and all thanks to aleph one Prime Target sadly only runs on old mac OS hence why i use SheepShaver.

Anways, getting off track here... i've got a .cue / .bin files for the Prime Target game but sadly couldn't find anyway to use them in SheepShaver i have tried making an ISO and putting it in the Volumes tab but sadly it doesn't appear to work the image that pops up on the Emulator is either blank or contains the .bin and .cue and nothing else.

Anywho.. can anyone help me out here? surely i'm doing somthing wrong

and if anyones wanting the files themselves i got them from here http://macintoshgarden.org/games/prime-target

Would grealy appreciate any help anyone can give!
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: A little assistance regarding .cue/.bin stuff.

Post by 24bit »

Same here. :(
I doubt that CD games that had to be saved as bin/cue will ever run in emulation.
The most promising is writing the bin/cue back to CD (IMGBurn) and trying it on a old PPCMac.
Emulators will only mount the HFS partition (if any) of a CD in your optical drive, which usually leaves the game unplayable.
It may be possible to run real CDs with BasiliskII build 142 or FusionPC, as both support SCSI optical drives. Both emulators are 68k only, therefore useless in this case.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

Kojaka wrote:i've got a .cue / .bin files for the Prime Target game but sadly couldn't find anyway to use them in SheepShaver i have tried making an ISO and putting it in the Volumes tab but sadly it doesn't appear to work
How exactly did you make the ISO? I think you should be able to specify either the .cue or the .bin directly in the Volumes tab. I've never actually tried it myself; now I'm curious...
24bit wrote:Emulators will only mount the HFS partition (if any) of a CD in your optical drive, which usually leaves the game unplayable.
It does? I thought the HFS partition was the only thing necessary, unless the game uses CD audio.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Fun Fact: Aleph One was developed by the same guy who created SheepShaver.
NucAr
Tinkerer

Post by NucAr »

Tracked disc images don't work in SheepShaver. Putting the .bin/.cue files in a .iso just gives you back the .bin/.cue files in the mounted volume, as you saw. What you want to do is convert the data partition (track 1) of the mounted .bin/.cue pair to some non-tracked disc image such as .iso or .toast. This can be done easily in Windows using a number of programs. In OS X, the only program I know about that can mount a .bin/.cue properly is DAEMON Tools for Mac. Then, Toast can save the data partition as a .toast file. The audio tracks can simply be copied and played in some CD player such as iTunes in your host OS (not ideal, but the best we can do when using SheepShaver).

This has already been done as can be seen in the first download available at Macintosh Garden. There's a .toast file and a separate folder containing the audio tracks as MP3s. I mounted the .toast file in SheepShaver via SheepShaver's Volumes list. However, Prime Target is apparently one of those games that demands a physical CD. Luckily, the CD is formatted in Mac OS Standard (HFS), so the Virtual DVD-ROM/CD Utility (see the Macintosh Garden page) should be able to trick the game into thinking the CD is there.

I tried this, and it works. I was able to play the game in SheepShaver. I uploaded the image made by the Virtual DVD-ROM/CD Utility as a convenience. Copy that image file to your SheepShaver volume (inside SheepShaver), and use the Virtual DVD-ROM/CD Utility to mount it. Then you can install and run the game.