Difficulty installing Stuffit

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Vryheid
Space Cadet

Difficulty installing Stuffit

Post by Vryheid »

I just finished getting Sheepshaver setup on my Windows 7 PC and the OS 9 disc image I used doesn't come with any apps. I've been trying to install Stuffit Expander by downloading the OS 9 version from the official site and moving it to the OS9 environment. However, when I go to open the installer file I get a "The document could not be opened, because the application program that created it could not be found" error. It even reads as a document in the Get Info section, which doesn't make sense to me because it's clearly a HQX file:

If anyone has any tips for dealing with this I'd appreciate any help, other than fixing it the only answer I can think of is getting another disc image with the app preinstalled.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Difficulty installing Stuffit

Post by adespoton »

You've hit the Chicken vs. Egg problem. HQX is tagged on the end of a file that's been BinHex converted -- meaning the binary data stored in the data and resource forks has been converted to Ascii text and flattened together. In order to convert it back into a usable file, you'll need something like Stuffit Expander.... :roll:

Somehow, you'll have to install something that isn't AppleDouble or BinHex encoded in order to get a tool that will let you unpack the rest.

I recommend using one of the disk images posted about in these forums that has a working copy of stuffit already installed.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The OS9 name of your main disk suggests you downloaded that system disk from the redundant robot website. However useful for testing, this disk does not contain a full installation of Mac OS 9. A full installation would contain stuff-it expander under internet utilities.

Please find an appropriate disk image on e.g., the macintoshgarden site and do a fresh, full installation of Mac OS 9. Alternatively, you could look at osvirtual.net and find a better image.

Best,
Cat_7
kikyoulinux
Tinkerer

Post by kikyoulinux »

As far as I remember, OS 9 CD contains Stuffit Expander.