SheepShaver immediatelly crashes

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Stefano
Space Cadet

SheepShaver immediatelly crashes

Post by Stefano »

Hi,

I just downloaded the most recent verision of SheepShaver (SheepShaver_UB_20140201).

It started up okay, untill I did setup the ROM file etc in the Preferences.

Ever since it immediatelly crashes with no indication, does not even change the Finder lable.
I did reset the .sheepshaver_prefs files, manually and via the script.

I downloaded SheepShaverPrefs to clear all settings, did not help.

The only message I get on console is:

11.2.15 5:49:51.492 PM SheepShaver[275]: CPSGetCurrentProcess(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
11.2.15 5:49:51.492 PM SheepShaver[275]: CPSSetForegroundOperationState(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.

I run a Macbook Pro with OSX 10.8.5.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Stefan
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: SheepShaver immediatelly crashes

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The messages in Console are normal warnings about deprecated calls (that Apple may remove in future OS versions), they do not indicate a problem.

If SheepShaver started OK before setup, it must have had at least a compatible ROM file named "Mac OS ROM" with it in the same folder. Your description of the crash at launch is what one would expect when SheepShaver cannot find the ROM file. Did you enter correctly the "Mac OS ROM" file for the ROM file in SheepShaver preferences?

You can post the content of your prefs file here, so we can check your settings. Launch Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities/) and type at the prompt:

Code: Select all

open ~/.sheepshaver_prefs
followed by a return. The file will open in your default text editor. Select al content, copy it, and paste it here.
Stefano
Space Cadet

Re: SheepShaver immediatelly crashes

Post by Stefano »

Okay, my fault. After I renamed the newworld image to "Mac OS ROM" in the same folder it starts up again. Thanks.