Trying to use sheep shaver networking

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

diakonia
Student Driver

Trying to use sheep shaver networking

Post by diakonia »

I have a fully working sheep shaver setup with mac os 9 running on my intel mac in mac os x 10.9 - but i cannot get networking to work.

Since i am running a version of mac os x that is at or past mountain lion apparently i don't need to use the third party bridging software right?

http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/app ... heepShaver

was following this but not installing that trial software

i cannot get it to work - put in tap0 in the sheep shaver networking prefs
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Trying to use sheep shaver networking

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Do you need Appletalk, or will internet access suffice? If internet access suffices, you can simply use the slirp networking method.

Best,
Cat_7
diakonia
Student Driver

Post by diakonia »

i have a windows home server with some mac binary files including applications from 68k and PPC Mac that I need to get copied over to my local hard disk.

so as far as I can tell i need appletalk - basically acting like an older Mac connecting to a AFP file share and copying files from there to the local sheep shaver hard disk (and then to the local mac hard disk using the sheep shaver unix drive option).

I cannot connect using AFP from Mac OS X 10.9 - only SMB it appears. When I connect using smb from mac os x 10.9 it does not see the unified binary files with a single file that has both resource and data fork, but I have verified that both are on the NTFS volume as Alternate Data Stream files placed there by Windows Home Server (Windows Server 2003).
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Although 10.9 defaults to SMB, you should be able to force connection with a different protocol, of course if the server supports that protocol.

Use "Connect to Server..." in the Finder Go menu and add the address as something like: afp://ServerAddress/ShareName
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Although 10.9 defaults to SMB, you should be able to force connection with a different protocol, of course if the server supports that protocol.
10.9 supports AFP versions 3.0 to 3.4, Windows 2003 Server versions 2.0 to 2.2 (see the table at this link). Therefore they probably can't communicate with each other via AFP.
diakonia
Student Driver

Post by diakonia »

thanks so much - that is a VERY helpful chart. Apparently the only way I'll be able to access and copy the files from a Windows Server 2003 is to:
1) get a VM of 10.5 (or earlier Mac OS X version) working - it won't communicate with 10.9 like you said
2) get any Mac OS Classic OS working on networking (SheepShaver OS 9, Basisk OS 6+)
For now I'll try #1 installing Mac OS X 10.5 in a VM and try to access Windows Server 2003 using AFP from there.
If that doesn't work I may be back here later looking into #2 with SheepShaver
Thanks again all of you guys for your help - seems like a very helpful forum.
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

What about the Basilisk II build in this thread? It was compiled with AppleTalk support.
diakonia
Student Driver

Post by diakonia »

i loaded mac os x 10.5 on another hard disk on my real mac and use the afp://servername/sharename or afp://serveripaddress/sharename and they did not connect to my windows server 2003 home server - guess I will have to look into basisk ii or sheepshaver unless someone has some other ideas
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

As for that part, instead of loading 10.5, you can just use MacPorts or Homebrew to install netatalk. This now supports Old-style AppleTalk AFP and printing. 10.10.x does just fine talking to both System 6 and WGS 95 (A/UX 3.1).

HOWEVER, your original issue was passing files between shares. Why not just set up your Unix share to be accessible via SMB, or mount a folder from the Windows share on your host, and make the path to THAT be your UNIX share? In this way, you'll be able to write directly to the share from inside SheepShaver AND Basilisk II. What you won't be able to do with this method is print to AppleTalk-only printers.

Also, there are SMB clients for OS 9.
From http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT2973
When a Windows product like Windows 95 or Windows 98 does not offer AFP as a service, you can install software on the Macintosh that allows it to connect to SMB, the native Windows file sharing protocol. Some examples of software that allow this are Dave by Thursby software, MochaSofts' Mocha SMB, or DoubleTalk by Connectix. This can be particularly advantageous when you have a mixed Windows and Mac OS environment, and the majority of computers use Windows products that do not offer AFP.
diakonia
Student Driver

Post by diakonia »

i have multi-streamed mac files with resource and data forks on the windows server 2003 ntfs hard drive that I want to transfer over to my local mac os x hard disk. smb does not appear to deal with multiple stream mac files like this properly at least on my mac os 10.9
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Nope; SMB doesn't understand forks; it only understands data streams, which are represented in a different manner. OS X allows you to represent forks as data streams, but this is just a translation layer, and SMB doesn't understand that.

You're probably better off binhexing or macbinarizing the files on the server, as NTFS doesn't handle resource forks all that well either.

Your other solution, of course, is using AFP (the newer appleshare IP) to share to the host, and then set up the network share as your Unix folder -- that way, OS X will handle the resource fork translation for you. WS2k3 should be able to do AFP, and so should any recent version of OS X -- and they'll do it over TCP/IP instead of AppleTalk, so the networking stack will be much simpler.