Erratic mouse in OS 9 ...

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Erratic mouse in OS 9 ...

Post by rlesperance »

Hi,

I have a problem that I have been trying to solve for some time. In SheepShaver, I run «Simply Accounting», a OS 9 accounting software. Whenever I am in a window with field to complete, just touching the mouse creates a cursor move ... as if I was toggling from one field to the other. The problem is that the mouse is very sensitive and that the cursor changes from one field to another without needing it to and so fast I cannot do much about it.

In OS X's mouse preferences, I unchecked all options that use the mouse surface to page down or up, or to move laterally. I tried the similar options included in SheepShaver, but had no success to prevent the unwanted movement of the mouse.

You can see what I am trying to explain in this video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qu4iw2g9749fp ... l.mov?dl=0

Would you accept to try it yourself ? I can send you the app.

Thanks in advance.

Robert Lespérance

P.S. I tried the new build. The screen changes color when passing from OS X to SheepShaver. You will see that also in the little video.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Erratic mouse in OS 9 ...

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You do not specify which mouse you use, but I suppose it is the Apple Magic Mouse. You can solve the problem by using a simple two-button or three-button mouse with SheepShaver. I myself use an old Logitech three-button USB mouse when working for longer periods of time in SheepShaver. An Apple Mouse with scroll ball will also work. (When you change the mouse, the Mouse preferences pane in OSX will change accordingly.)
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:  
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

You got it ... I use the last Magic Mouse, the one with the sensitive surface. Would any of Apple's other wireless mouse (A1015 or A1197) fix my problem ?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

As far as I know, the Apple Magic Mouse is the only wireless Apple mouse that is still available. The previous wireless mice have been discontinued, one without scroll button and one with the scroll ball (that can easily get stuck because of dust and dirt), but they would indeed not have the issue that the Magic Mouse has. Does the mouse need to be wireless? Any three-button USB mouse will work fine, both in OSX and in SheepShaver, no additional software needed. Of course you will not have the additional gestures available in OSX that are possible with the Magic Mouse.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Is it possible to have the mouse features enabled/disabled on a per-application basis? I don't think Apple provides this granularity, but here's a page that lists third party software that *may* help:
http://www.macyourself.com/2009/11/24/5 ... -features/

There are probably newer solutions out there now too. USB Overdrive and BetterTouchTool both allow for per-application settings, which may be what you need.

[edit] https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... agic-mouse adds a bit more discussion to the previous link.