Help with Starship Titanic

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Discord20
Space Cadet

Help with Starship Titanic

Post by Discord20 »

Hello! I got into using Sheepshaver when I got nostalgic for an old game I used to play - Starship Titanic - and I found an article explaining how to get it to run using SheepShaver emulator. The article is here:

http://www.metafilter.com/98848/The-Pos ... y-Go-Wrong

I followed the instructions exactly, and the emulator works fine, and i even got to play through the first few minutes of gameplay, until I reach the part where the game pauses, and I get the message, "please insert Disc 2 and wait a short while." So I go back to the GUI, remove Disc 1, and add Disc 2 (like it says in the article I referenced) and wait, but the screen never goes away and the game never continues. It doesn't seem to register a change of discs unless I reboot the emulator entirely, and then the new disc will appear on the desktop. But I need the game to be running when the computer registers the change of discs in order to move forward in the gameplay.

I also get this message when I start up the program:
"The CD-ROM driver file C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\cdenable.sys is missing"

It didn't seem to be affecting the program at first, so I ignored it, but now i think maybe that has something to do with it?

I'm running Windows 8.

Hope you guys have some ideas, I'd really love to revisit this game! Thanks!
(EDIT: I found this article, and followed it:
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/cde ... []=missing )

So I put the cdenable.sys file in the right directory, and I stopped getting the error message, but the problem isn't fixed.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Help with Starship Titanic

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Are you using real CDs or images of CDs to run the game?
If you are using real CDs, please download the latest version of SheepShaver for Windows. It can read and change them on the fly.
If you are using CD images, please add all 3 images to the volumes list in the GUI and try again.

The guide you used says to exit SheepShaver and use the GUI to add the next CD image. This means you have to shut down Mac OS in SheepShaver, start the GUI, remove the first and add the next CD image to the volumes list, and start SheepShaver again.

Best,
Cat_7
Discord20
Space Cadet

Re: Help with Starship Titanic

Post by Discord20 »

Hi Cat_7, thanks for your help. I think the problem was that the download of the CDs were interrupted, or perhaps something went wrong with the stuffit expander so that the CD files were corrupted. I deleted the old CD images, re-downloaded them, and re-mounted all three at once. The game automatically advances between the CDs if they are all simultaneously mounted. Thanks again for getting back to me, the game works fine now!