Can no longer change the preferences in 2.4

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

nsputnik2
Space Cadet

Can no longer change the preferences in 2.4

Post by nsputnik2 »

I have been running 2.3 in OSX 10.8.6. Upgraded to OSX 10.10.2 so I downloaded Sheep Shaver 2.4.

Ran 2.4 from the Downloads folder. I then had to tell it where my disc images are in preferences, and got it running.

Then I quit and decided to move 2.4 to my Applications folder and place my disc images in the 2.4 folder without removing the disc images from preferences.

Since in 2.4 there is no separate Preferences app I cannot just point it to the disc images after moving everything. Now when I open it is seems it cannot find them so then it just crashes. I put everything back the way it was when I had 2.4 working and still have a problem. Running Delete Prefs File.app or pram app does not fix the problem. I deleted 2.4 and it's folder, downloaded SS again, and it still has the same problem. Is there an OSX preferences file I can trash that is somewhere in the System, Library, or Application Support directories?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Can no longer change the preferences in 2.4

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

When you run the "Delete Prefs File" script the preferences file is deleted and you can start over again configuring SheepShaver.

There are two things you need to consider:

1. When starting over again, the rom file needs to be in the same folder with the SheepShaver application and its name should be "Mac OS ROM" without extension. You can check the presence of a possible file name extension in Finder Info on the file. Without the rom file in that location and with that exact name, SheepShaver will quit on launch.

2. In OSX 10.10 SheepShaver will not run in 64 bit mode. Make sure that it is set to run in 32 bit mode in Finder Info for the application file.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
nsputnik2
Space Cadet

Post by nsputnik2 »

Thanks! It was the ROM not being in the same folder.
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Post by Old-School-BBSer »

Although Ronald has already resolved your issue -- he has helped me a number of times as well -- I was curious regarding your statement that there is no "SheepShaverPrefs" app with 2.4 (2014-02-01).

Perhaps I downloaded it separately -- I can't remember now -- but the SheepShaverPrefs" app from 01-29-2008 definitely still works with SheepShaver 2.4

Another tip which either Ronald or Cat_7 pointed out to me is that you can also use this command in the Terminal in OS X:

sudo open .sheepshaver_prefs

I have had to use that command a number of times in order to add the full file paths for my disk images.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
Guam, Mariana Islands, USA
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

You shouldn't need to sudo that; .sheepshaver_prefs is in your home directory, and your user has read/write permissions for it, unless you're also running sheepshaver as root.

The "open" command is the equivalent to double clicking a file in the Finder; since the file starts with a '.', it is invisible by default in the finder.

What I did prior to moving to sheepvm bundles is ran these commands in Terminal.app:

Code: Select all

cd ~
ln -s .sheepshaver_prefs Library/Preferences/SheepShaverPrefs.txt
This will create an alias to the file inside your ~/Library/Preferences folder, where you can double click it to open and edit.

Of course, nowadays, the Library folder is also invisible by default, so you might want to put the alias somewhere else.