How to access PC files with SheepShaver in Windows ?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

macfan63
Student Driver

How to access PC files with SheepShaver in Windows ?

Post by macfan63 »

Hello

I am having an issue using SheepShaver in Windows 8.1.

I checked the option in the SheepShaverGui to mount the PC drives when SheepShaver starts.
My hard disk has two partitions, C: for Windows 8.1 and D: for other files. My CD Rom drive is E: and I have a virtual CD Rom drive in F:

When I start SheepShaver the PC icon appears in Mac OS 9 desktop, I can click on the icon and can see the contents of drives C: and D: ( the others appear with a padlock which I asume is normal as they are CD Rom drives ? ) -

The problem is that I cannot move either copy some of the files from PC drives to Mac -
For example when I try to move or copy a Quicktime format video ( mpg format ), an error window appears saying: "the document XXXX could not be opened because it cannot be found" or "you cannot move XXXX to the desktop because it cannot be found".....(XXXX is the name of a file I try to copy or move from my PC to Mac OS 9)

Something is preventing Mac from being capable of moving the files ? Are they locked ?, how can I fix this problem ? I need to move or copy files between Windows and Mac.

I would be grateful for your help !
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: How to access PC files with SheepShaver in Windows ?

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Please note that every drive has its own desktop! Mac OS combines these desktops into one, which is shown to you.
You should not copy files from e.g., D to the Mac OS desktop, as those files would not be copied to your Mac OS disk, but to the (hidden) desktop folder on the D drive. If you want to use the files, they have to be copied to your "real" Mac OS disk.

Best,
Cat_7
macfan63
Student Driver

Re: How to access PC files with SheepShaver in Windows ?

Post by macfan63 »

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

But how can I put those PC files into the Mac OS disk ?

I tried "HFS format" isos that I made, including inside the files I want to use, and when I mount them in a virtual CD rom drive and choose to mount the F: CD rom drive ( virtual CD Rom ) in the SheepShaverGUI, SheepShaver recognizes the CD but shows it as audio only, so I cannot see the files, which are Quicktime movies in this case ( the same happens if I burn the isos to a real CD disk and choose the phisical CD Rom drive in SheepShaverGUI ).

What is the purpose of mounting the PC drives when SheepShaver starts if I cannot transfer files between PC and Mac disk ?

And how can I find the "share" hidden desktop in drive D: ?